2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

ARGH!! U-joints

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 10:18 PM
Mostly Harmless
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ARGH!! U-joints

So I bought a KY department of forestry 1999 dodge ram 1500 4x4 at the state auction a couple weeks ago. It needed some TLC. So I've been replacing ball joints, working on u-joints etc.

Well, I bought u-joints at autozone, and pressed the old ones out. when i went to install my new ones, they're WAY too small for the yolks. The replacement joints measure 1.126 inches, and the yolks measure 1.158 inches. What's with the discrepancy?? Has anyone else encountered this?

Thanks,
Chris

Old 10-22-2008, 10:28 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

take the damn autozone joints back and go get some from precison u joints that are greaseable from napa.

P.s. where in kentucky do you live?

Old 10-22-2008, 10:33 PM
Mostly Harmless

Lexington!

Yeah, I'd love to take the autozone garbage, chinese crap joints back, but I have no idea what I did with the receipt. Grr. Waste of money. I guess i need to head over to napa. I'm taking my outer axle with me tho, and I'm gonna check it right there in the store. I can't believe there'd be more than one size of u-joint for this model of truck. That just floors me.

Chris

Old 10-22-2008, 10:56 PM
grizzlyfarmer2
Rookie

autozone should have you on record and if they aint dicks about it they will return them or switch ya up for the right u-joints

Old 10-22-2008, 11:05 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

i used to have those ****ty *** autozone u joints and wheel berings. then i got new tires and the shop had to replace them because they were the WRONG ONES!!!! and they dont last ****

Old 10-22-2008, 11:11 PM
Mostly Harmless

Well, I just had a brainstorm. Well, more like a brain-drizzle. So I know that some folks change out the 1500 4x4 steering mechanism for the '98 HD 2500 steering mechanism... I thought to myself... "what if someone did the same with the axles and u-joints. I went back and broke out the calipers again. The yolks are 1.188 inches, not 1.158 as I orginally thought. That's the exact cup size for the 3/4 ton u-joints. Either someone beefed up this front end, or this truck has some kind of HD package.

Like I said, it came from the department of forestry, so maybe they have someone who outfits their trucks and "hotrods" them? Who knows. I know what to buy now tho.

Chris

Old 10-22-2008, 11:43 PM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have Pecision ujoints as thats what the shop I used to work at put in. I had a noise start as I was going down the road so I stopped for them to check it. I was a little ticked they didn't get Spicer ones but oh well. These seem to be doing okay but I haven't had them all that long. I needed them then. I would get Spicer ones if I was you.

Old 10-23-2008, 04:04 AM
Ramman18
Champion
Received 108 Likes on 93 Posts

After you get the napa ones, turn around and take those back and get Spicers. I'll never buy anything but. The one time I went cheap, they lasted a whopping 2 years.

Old 10-23-2008, 11:40 AM
hometheaterman
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ramman18
After you get the napa ones, turn around and take those back and get Spicers. I'll never buy anything but. The one time I went cheap, they lasted a whopping 2 years.
I agree here. I needed u joints then and the shop usually uses Spicer stuff so I figured they would be Spicer but when they came in they were Precision ones. I guess that's what Fishers had. I was in the back helping since I used to work their and knew them well the guy working on it and the owner and all. We already had the driveshaft out of the truck and all when they got there. Not sure if we had the ujoints out or not so I decided we would just use them. Next time I'm hoping to go with Spicers though.

Over on Pavementsucks.com you can read about how Spicers were the only ones that would stand up to their abuse.

Old 10-23-2008, 11:46 AM
madman269

autozone....autozone.....what...autozone s****

Quick Reply: ARGH!! U-joints