2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

P0302 Cylinder 2 misfire detected...

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2005, 09:38 PM
JustDave45
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0302 Cylinder 2 misfire detected...

If you want the whole drawn out story read the post "Truck Started hard Missing today." To simplify, I replaced the fuel pump assy today and it does keep pressure in the rail all the time now wich corrected my long cranking time problem. BUT I still have a hard miss, so I decided to go fuel up and drive the thing until it either broke or threw a code, it actually only took about 30 mins to at first blink the light, I then stopped and it had the above code, I left it in memory and kept driving and after about 5 more mins it set the light on for good, rechecked and it show the same code. Now maybe I am getting somewhere, how does the PCM detect or classify a misfire ? Could this be something as simple as a plug wire or plug or rotor/cap issue ? I wouldnt think a misfire code would have to do with an injector, don't they have there own codes ? Any help or ideas here would greatly be appreciated....Many thanks...

Old 02-08-2005, 02:25 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts
Default RE: P0302 Cylinder 2 misfire detected...

do the easy things 1st... I'd put a timing light on it and make sure the cylinder is firing, then a tune up if it hasnt been done in a while, check the plug wires or just replace them if they are old, then I'd get a stethescope on the injector for the #2 cylinder and listen for it operating correctly. If after a tuneup & injector scoping it still misses on that cylinder, the do a compression test on it and see what it reads. you might have a bad valve seat which would have a loss of compression on that cylinder.

Old 02-08-2005, 03:02 PM
JustDave45

I had done a pretty good tune-up about a month ago, plugs, cap, rotor and PCV. I did put a new set of wires on this morning, but it didnt help anything. I did notice that the number two plug had some wear on it compared to the one beside it so I swapped them. After after just about 5 minutes of driving the one that was in number two came out clean and the one I put in number two had some slight discoloration. That led me to think that maybe the injector was hung and flooding the number two cylinder, so I swapped those out and no difference, even throwing the same code. If it was really a dead cylinder I think it would be more consistent, it doesnt run like you just pulled a plug wire off of one cylinder, it is in and out like the whole ignition cuts in and out.....I dont know...got me pretty miffed right now. Thanks for the reply and any more help would be great.

Old 02-08-2005, 03:37 PM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

did you put a timing light on it to see if it's actually misfiring? Another thought is there could be a problem in the distributor, there is a cam postion sensor in there that I think is used for the fuel sync. not quite sure if that would be it though, doesnt make sense. what kind of gas do you use? maybe there is carbon buildup on the piston dome and it's causing pre-ignition... there is some stuff called sea-foam that you can use to clean it out. if your injector is dirty and stuck open you might have excessive fuel in the cylinder and over time it could lead to carbon deposits from being too rich... it's worth a shot (sea-foam) and is only something like $10 bux a can.

Old 02-11-2005, 06:21 AM
TommyTGunnz01

i have the same probem a quick oss of power when i acceerate the guy the shop said it was a mis fire my wire missin the pug and hittin the bock or somethen ike that but its funny becuase its my p302 code is bank 2 he even gave me a fireing order pic.

Quick Reply: P0302 Cylinder 2 misfire detected...