2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Base radio

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2008, 10:54 PM
ron360ci
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Base radio

I'm new to the forum, I've had my '98 ram for 2 years now & put alot of work into it. It runs great. It has a base 4-speaker system I just realized, that the drivers 6x9 speaker was'nt playing. So decide to replace it with a Stock Chysler infinity speaker thinkin' it would work by rewiring the harness comming out of the door. I even went so far as to order a wiring diagram from a web-site. To make a long story short..I tried all the configurations with the 6wires, & can't get both the door speaker & tweeter working simultanieously. All the other speakers work fine. Any suggestions??

Old 10-28-2008, 12:12 AM
dodgeram07
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so you went from base to infinity? the infinity sound system has a amp on the speakers

Old 10-28-2008, 12:25 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

dodgeram07 is correct. The Infinity system had amps on the front door speakers. Wires went to the amps, and then from the amps to the tweeters IIRC. That would explain why you can only get one or the other to work. I had the Infinity speakers (with amps), and the standard deck (not the complete Infinity sound system), and my Pioneer deck only worked after I hooked up the blue amp wire to the one wire going to the Infinity amps. After that (half hour of frustration only to discover I missed just one little wire), they worked great.

You should just go get an aftermarket deck, like a good Pioneer or Alpine deck. Much better stereos than stock, and you can get a wiring harness adapter to make everything much easier, with minimal wiring required.

You do know that you could have gotten a wiring diagram from one of us guys for free, right?
http://www.installdr.com/Harnesses/DCP-Wiring.pdf

Last edited by jasonw; 10-28-2008 at 12:27 AM.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:56 AM
mooseariss

Yeah, the infinities are nice. I heard them in a stock set up, but myself, I went and bought 2 nice 6x9's. A lot of guys are hung up on the "well known" brand names like alpine, JVC, kicker... etc. Actually, I did the complete opposite. I went to SonicElectronix.com and looked at the raw specs of the speakers.

I wound up buying AudioBhan 6x9's for the front and 5 1/4's for the back. They sound real nice. Just had to clip the wire harness from Dodge and use regular connections. The ones that they use to sell, were the Audiobahn AS69V. But I dont think they make these anymore. Sucks too cus they sound real nice.

Old 10-28-2008, 01:07 AM
dodgeram07
Champion

i liked my Infinity system but when it went bad i got JVC head unit (from a buddy) and got everything else form walmart (wire connector and dash kit).... like jason.w said don't forget the blue wire, i did the frist time and it took me sum time to figure out what i did wrong....

the product brand i bought at walmart http://scosche.com/

Old 10-28-2008, 05:14 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I have the Infinity system. When the door speakers went out i replaced them with Sony speakers from Walmart. they work good, but one of them goes out from time to time then comes back on. Does anyone know where i can get new stock style tweeters?

Old 10-28-2008, 06:31 PM
Gotta feed them horses
Professional

holy crap.. my right door speaker doesn't work either since I put a JVC head unit in.. I'm going to find that stinking blue wire right now!!!

Old 10-28-2008, 06:52 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

I had to connect the blue wire also but that wasn't for one speaker. Before I connected that no speakers would work. Well, except for the subs as they were wired up through the pre outs on the h/u. The factory system even the Infinity version seems to be crappy. You'd be much better off going with a aftermarket setup.

Old 10-28-2008, 07:53 PM
ron360ci
Default confused!

My base system also has amps built into the front 6x9 door speaker, radio & the rest of the speakers work JUST FINE!! all I'm asking is which wires go where? The (6)wire harness from the truck have orange, purple, brown, yellow, green & blue! The infinity speaker came from a '00 caravan with a (6)wire harness that's black/gray, blue/organge, blue/orange, blue/white, blue white, red/green. It makes no sense to replace the whole entire system just because 1 speaker is'nt working. I really like the factory system, I think it sounds great, & I'd like to stick with it.

Old 10-28-2008, 07:59 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

If you think it sounds great have you ever heard an aftermarket system? I thought the system in my truck was one of the crappier ones I've heard. That being said check out installdr.com for the wiring and see if they have what you need.

Quick Reply: Base radio