2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Aftermarket stereo wiring and OEM rear speaker wires??

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2008, 10:18 PM
Keegan
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Aftermarket stereo wiring and OEM rear speaker wires??

Couple of questions!!

1.Rear speaker wires?

I got a good deal on a set of 5.25 components for the truck, so I'd like to install them this weekend. I was wondering, where do I start searching for OEM rear speaker wires? The truck never had them, but as I've found with other vehicles, they route the wires back there even though nothing gets hooked up at the factory.

2. Unused wires once deck is installed?

I pulled the aftermarket deck out and rewired it. The previous owner had the power and accessory wired together so the deck would stay on with the headlight switch, and everything was twisted and taped together, not soldered the way I like to do it. Anyway, I have a few wires left astray. I hot glued the ends of them and just zip tied them for now, but can they be used in this truck?

1. orange dimmer wire
2. orange "illumination" wire
3. blue power antenna ( I dont have one, but can it be used for something else? )
4. brown "mute" wire
5. Remote wire ( I'll use this one when the subs get put in)
6. Black ground wire- dont use this one?

I fixed the OEM ground to the back of the deck with a screw, so I assume this eliminates the need for the black ground wire.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Old 10-30-2008, 05:55 PM
Keegan
Professional

bump.... anyone know where I can find leads to hook up rear speakers, or just run new wires to the deck???

Old 11-02-2008, 01:32 AM
Keegan
Professional

Well I ran new wires right up to the adapter plugs at the harness. I did come across an open connector under the drivers side dash that I think was for rear speakers, but didn't bother with it.

Old 11-02-2008, 02:23 AM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

you made the right choice by jus running new wires.
As for the blue power antenna, you can use that for your Remote wire if you choose to run an external amp.

Old 11-02-2008, 09:22 PM
Keegan
Professional

All right good to hear... wow do component speakers ever make for some good sound quality!

Old 11-03-2008, 02:26 AM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yea ive got 4 6x9 infinity kappa prefects powered with an 800 watt power accoustic amp and 2 10in eclipse woofers powered on a 1200 watt power accoustic amp. being a sinlge cab truck it will run you right out of the cab and rattle the bolts out on the seats

Quick Reply: Aftermarket stereo wiring and OEM rear speaker wires??