2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

BF Goodrich All-Terrain

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 01:08 AM
pcfixerpro
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TIMIDONE
People have told me to avoid spacers...something about not a good idea for off road and undue pressures on the rig. What I heard...I thought.
I think it kind of depends what company you go with. I love my HBS spacer and have been 150% happy with it. I do not doubt its integrity one bit and is the same one that can be used on the diesel application. I think daystar uses some sort of rubber or polyurethane or whatever for there spacers, I would be leary of those.

Old 11-01-2008, 01:17 AM
TIMIDONE
All Star

HBS spacer? Got a link? Got a price estimate? Any help would be great...1 inch, 2 inch or more?

Sorry for the thread jacking btw

Old 11-04-2008, 11:59 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

Little update on the tires guys. It is looking like I am going to sell my existing pirelli tires. My original goal was to buy 305 BFG A/Ts, but after recently talking with the lawyer, I think it could really mess with the case if I change the size of my tires. I do want to change the tires because I don't like the tread, but I feel like I should just stick with the 285 size and get a tread I'll be very happy with.

So here is my question. Now that I am aiming towards a 285 size, I have my mind set between two tires. The BFG A/T and the Toyo A/T. Both of these tires have very nice reputations. Does anybody know what some of the pros and cons may be between the two tires, and perhaps give me me their input which to pick? Sorry for changing the scenario, but I figured I would ask anyways.

Old 11-05-2008, 09:36 AM
padodgeram
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ill speak up on the BFG A/T , Very good tire and the wear is awesome , my father inlaw and brother inlaw has the tires on there trucks and after 5 years they still look good and wear good , hell when my father inlaw bought his chevy 2500 he switch to the BFG A/T , when my tires are bad im switching to the BFG on my chevy .. cost up front is a little step but it will pay for itself (IF YOU TAKE CARE OF THE TIRES)...

Old 11-05-2008, 09:56 AM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I love BFG A/T's. I think they are about the best tire you can buy. Very good in almost every condition I have had them in (mud is their biggest weakness). I've heard good about the Cooper Discover A/T's, and having run Toyo's, I bet their A/T is a good tire too.

Hey Neon, just curious if you mentioned to your lawyer about all the posts you have done on this forum where your doing burnouts, 0-60 runs, and other things that the trans shop might view as abusive. Could really go against you in a case like the one you're in since it shows a clear trend of how you treat your truck and transmission. If they knew about it, they might use it against you. Your lawyer should probably know about it.

Old 11-05-2008, 12:58 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

The way I ride my truck has had nothing to do with the way my transmission performs. It has functioned incorrectly since day 1. Furthermore, I really take good care of this truck. Some of you guys misconstrue a few 0-60 videos as abuse, when 9/10 times, it's easy sailing with this truck, keeping it clean, and maintaining it. Especially since August, this truck has been taken care of very well, I try not to use it. N.E transmission built this transmission knowing I drive my truck hard at times. That's why I paid so much for it in the first place. There is nothing wrong with riding hard if you have a transmission that is built for it, and that's what I had originally requested. Very rarely do I ride hard, but it is ok to do so occasionally. It just should be taken account for that I take remarkable measures to take care of this truck.

As I said, I currently am running 285/70/17 tires. I'm trying to sell them right now. I was going to use that money to purchase a 305. Then, I started to become nervous about it. Part of our case if that the truck sits stock, so it can be acknowledged for face value. Buying a 305 could void that case. I would like to sell my existing tires though, I want a better tread if I'm going to stay with this smaller tire. Toyo offers a 285/75/17, but doesn't offer white lettering in that size, I like white lettering. However, Toyo does offer white lettering on their 285/70/17. So it's down to the 285/70/17 BFG or Toyo. From what I hear, everyone gives great ratings of the BFG. It looks like I'll be staying with the 285, but just finding the tread that will satisfy me the most.

Old 11-05-2008, 01:13 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

All i'm saying is that no one except you is in the truck with you to see how you really drive it. But based soley on the posts you made on here, it leaves the impression that you are very hard on the truck. This impression could be used against you is all. Escpecially if they told you to take it easy with the truck or let it break in or something like that. I'm not trying to argue with you again, i'm just pointing out how it looks from the outside reading your posts.

285 is not the stock tire size for your truck, so you could still get in trouble for having those on your truck (if that is what you're worried about). It might look stock, but anything other then the size that is printed on the door label is non stock. Your truck probably came from the factory with either a 265 or 275, check your door sticker.

Old 11-05-2008, 01:30 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

I hear what you are saying Reid. I'm just letting you know that I work hard to take care of this truck. I knew when my transmission died that I wanted something that could handle the occasional heavy tow or hard driving. I also knew it had been lifted and had big tires on it. This was all accounted for when I had them build me a transmission. I primarily drive casual, but will drive aggressively occasionally.

The tires stock are 275/70/17. A 285/70/17 seems to be the best compromise for myself, get a little bigger than stock, but primarily stock. Doing this was more so a symbol that it was not my truck and that it was the transmission. I didn't have to take those 35" tires off, because they built that transmission including 35" tires. I sized it down because he began insinuating the tires were causing the issues. I wanted to make a very firm point that my truck had nothing to do in the way the transmission functioned. Yes, I'm very discouraged that I lost my lift and tires, but I was tired of dealing with anyone using it as an excuse for the incompetence of that unit.

Quick Reply: BF Goodrich All-Terrain