2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

o2 sensors

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 08:30 AM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default o2 sensors

about two or three months ago i buried m truck so bad i got water up to the cat on my truck, both o2 sensors are bad, it destroyed the cat so i gutted it, i put a cherry bomb on, i still run both the origianal sensors, now i am getting ready to change one of them, the truck smokes, and runs very rich with horrible gas milage, what sensor will stop this? and i will also be doing a tune up on the truck, plugs wires air filter all that stuff, but i dont have money to get both

Last edited by meanwhitemopar; 10-30-2008 at 08:31 AM. Reason: typos
Old 10-30-2008, 08:40 AM
ophidia
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The sensor before the cat controls the fuel mixture.

Old 10-30-2008, 08:45 AM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok, then what does the rear one do? and if i change that one sensor it shouldnt smoke and run very bad gas milage anymore? cause i put a comp to the diagnostic port and it says that all cylenders are running to much fuel

Old 10-30-2008, 10:09 AM
ophidia
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The rear one just measures the efficiency of the cat. It doesn't affect the mixture at all. You're going to get a code about cat being below efficiency (I don't remember the exact code but the scan tool should tell you the meaning when you pull codes). There are simulators available you can put in place of the downstream O2 sensor to get rid of that code. I've never used one myself but from what I've read they do work.

Quick Reply: o2 sensors