2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

battle

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 06:16 PM
acsamples79
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default battle

hows it goin, okay so i have a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 5.2L with an aftermarket tranny (not sure what kind cuz the previous owners put it in) but it was relatively expensive..i have a power programmer along with a few little things and me n a pal have gone at it for days about our trucks...he has an 88 ford f-250 7.3L international...both of our trucks are 4X4 and he basically told me my truck was nothing and he would kill me if i hooked to him...talken trash and i got mad so we are going to hook em soon....what kind of performance upgrades can i get to just LOAD my truck with torque so i can beat him? please let me know some suggestions! i need to beat him...he told me to go buy a REAL truck and said that i have NO chance

Old 10-31-2008, 06:27 PM
Bloodknight80
Rookie

If you beat him never let him live it down cuz he is a s#@t ton heavier than you, lot more weight in them older trucks on top of it being a 3/4 ton. Be a lot harder for you to drag him. I'd say use your programmer and set your truck to the tow/haul mode if it has it. Take him in 4low and just creep it cuz he'll more than likely try to mash the throttle and jerk you all over the place. As for addin more torque I don't really know other than the programmer. Good luck.

Old 10-31-2008, 06:44 PM
acsamples79
Veteran

yea i know his truck is MAJOR in weight and thats the biggest thing for me like i dont doubt that its IMPOSSIBLE but thats why i was needing some torque adders to bring that extra power so if i get him from the beginning to not DRAG me around then id have enough power to pull him

Old 10-31-2008, 08:32 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Problem is, he has a diesel engine. If you had a Cummins and upgraded that, you might be able to do it. The Cummins has always (IMO) been a better diesel engine than the Fords.

But as it stands, I highly doubt the 5.2L can do much to him. I doubt the gas 5.9 could do much either, diesels have much higher torque numbers and can pull a lot more. Does he have any upgrades to his truck?

It has nothing to do with his truck being a real truck and yours not. You are comparing Apples to Oranges, a gas engine to a diesel. If you had a 2500 with a Cummins, then you could compare Apples to Apples with his.

Make sure your tires have good traction.

Old 10-31-2008, 08:50 PM
acsamples79
Veteran

he has NOTHING done to his truck,,,nothing but a bunch of problems...its pretty worn out..i know the fact its diesel vs gas makes it a very hard match but since hes totally called my truck a P.O.S i just got pissed and told him to be a man and bring the chains...ive looked at hughes stroker kits whch would convert my 318 to a 390 but im not sure about torque gains...and i do have BRAND new tires i told the dude at the shop to put on the best tires he had no matter the price so that they would stay on anything so theyre pretty nice

Old 10-31-2008, 08:53 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The only thing that would save you in a tow against a 7.3 would be if he broke right in the middle. Gas bruner vs: Diesel? Not a chance (sry prob not what you want to hear)
If you do decide to that plz take pics might be fun to see

Old 10-31-2008, 08:56 PM
iwhitne
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

get ready to buy a new drive shaft and tranny!!

you are going to get pulled like a little red wagon!

you're going to need to put a lot of weight in the bed so you don't burn out

are you doing this one asphalt or dirt?

Old 10-31-2008, 09:06 PM
acsamples79
Veteran

if he will come up here to pull itll most likely be on pavement...that is if he can get it out of the shop long enough to get it up here and go.

Old 10-31-2008, 09:26 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Originally Posted by iwhitne
get ready to buy a new drive shaft and tranny!!

you are going to get pulled like a little red wagon!

you're going to need to put a lot of weight in the bed so you don't burn out

are you doing this one asphalt or dirt?
LOL that made me laugh. Yea sorry dude. Best thing you can do is load it up like suggested (if he asks tell him its to make up for the weight difference even though its not lol), air down your tires a bit to give you a little extra tread to grip. I'd pop her in 4 low (ur doing a pull off right?) Um... don't stomp on it or you will spin your tires... spinning tires = loss of traction. Lol, and like mentioned above, be prepared to break something. Oh, and post a vid of it either way for us! Wish ya luck!

Old 10-31-2008, 10:21 PM
oiler
Professional

I disagree. I think he has a hell of a chance to smoke his opponent. First, the smoke from his tires, than the smoke from his tranny, then the smoke from under his hood.

Quick Reply: battle