2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Noob with a starting question

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2008, 06:34 PM
Bloodknight80
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Noob with a starting question

Hey guys. I was just wondering if any of you ran into this when starting your trucks. When I turn the key I hear the starter engage and sometimes when I let off the key to give the starter a break I hear silence and then about 2 or 3 seconds of no starter and a some silence the truck fires up and is running. Does this sound strange to any of you?

I have one more question to anyone who would know. Just recently (about 2 days ago) when I got in my truck and started it up at Subway, the second it started it lurched forward. Luckily I was up against the parking block or I have no idea how far it would have rolled before I would have gotten my foot on the brakes. Does anyone know what might cause this?

Old 11-01-2008, 12:11 PM
rlippy

Sounds very strange?¿
Im thinking you have a electrical problem in the ignition system, check the starter first, in my opinion its easiest. bench test it make sure it operates correctly, if that checks out make sure your connections are good. after that its probly the ignition itself. As for the jumping forward, i think thats a seperate problem you should look at after you fix the starting problem.

Old 11-01-2008, 12:32 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

I generally have my foot on the brake pedal when starting it. Just a habit, but there is no reason why it would/should lurch forward after you turn the key. As far as the starter crank, stumble, fire up. I've had that happen multiple times a few months ago now. It only happened after sitting overnight and firing up the next morning. After that it didn't do it again. I also noticed a cloud of white smoke out the back when it fired up. Lasted for about a week, and hasn't done it since. I figured it must have been a batch of bad gas, or something contaminated the gas somehow.

Last edited by pcfixerpro; 11-01-2008 at 12:36 PM.
Old 11-01-2008, 07:56 PM
Bloodknight80
Rookie

Thanks guys for your input. I'll have to get it checked out. I know a little bit when it comes to motors, but ignition systems is way outta my league of knowledge.As for the lurching forward i dunno, i know a guy that had owned a 80's something dodge that while idling it jumped into gear and took out his newly replaced garage door. Hope that isn't in my near future.

Quick Reply: Noob with a starting question