2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

idler pully

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 12:26 AM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default idler pully

ok, i just got back from arizona( WTI for USMC>>>SUCKS!) but i got back truck was dead, jumped it nd it ran to the gas station and swallowed 79 bucks in premium, not to bad but still, got bck in it at the gas station, didnt start, jumped it again, then it wouldnt stay running, unless i held my foot on the gas, i thought some how the o2 sensor was that messed up but unplugedd and plugged it back in...nothing, still wouldnt run, i got it back to my room, where it started to show that it would idle, but very rough and not good, check gauges, they where good, everything where it is supposed to be, then despite my better judgement i took a 20 mile drive to my work station to talk with my higher up about my leave, i left the truck running durring this, figured i didnt want to be stuck with no one to jump me this time. when i came out, i heard a very weird but distinct sound...SOUNDED like a valve tap, i figured it was low on oil, but pressrue was still good, so i added about a half a qaurt and seemed to go away, off i went to go back the other way 20 miles, i got about there and in mid drive at 45 mph, lost all volts, started over heating and MY POWER STEERING, limped it back to my room once again, and found that my idler pully went and had NO BEARINGS in it, and cancked sideways. lucky i didnt shread the belt but the stud was ok, no damage. it was about 30 bucks to replace, and i changed it over myself in like a half hour with limited tools in a paring lot.

just figured i would throw this up in case anyone else seems to get this problem, and lucky to report, everything runs great now!

Old 11-01-2008, 12:31 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

good post, but don't be scared to use a period every once in a while so i can stop and breathe. lol. the tapping sound you heard was probably the bearings coming out of that thing. my explorer did that once on the tensioner pulley bearing.

so you truck won't crank and won't idle ? that sucks.

Old 11-01-2008, 02:52 PM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

well as of now, its runs and starts just fine. I think the belt was just to loose, wasnt spining the alternator. thats my guess. but anyway, yea im not good at english.

Quick Reply: idler pully