2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Steering not centering from left only. Steering Box?

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2008, 09:42 AM
mx597turbo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Steering not centering from left only. Steering Box?

My steering doesn't center from left. From right, it feels fine. This is especially noticeable on the highway. But you can also feel the difference if you turn the wheel from a standstill. Turn left and there is almost no resistance. Turn right and there is a normal amount of resistance. Other than this, there isn't any play in the steering. My truck is a 2000 and has 125k miles.

I also had this same exact problem on a '98 Chevy at about the same mileage, but that got sold before I could fix the problem.

I think it might be the steering box from what I read on the forums, but I don't want to spend $200+ and not fix the problem. What do you guys think? How can I check for sure? Thanks.

Old 11-01-2008, 10:25 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Raise the front wheels and disconnect the pitman arm, start the truck and turn the steering wheel left to right and see if it does it.(remember to mark it and count the #of turns so you line it back up straight) If it seems fine, move the wheels left to right by hand and see if you feel any binding, could be tie rod(s) or ball joint(s) binding. Could also be the bushing on the bottom of the steering column, but that usually makes a clunk not a binding issue, but you never know.

Old 11-01-2008, 10:29 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Oh, and btw, if it does turn out to be the gear box, Do Not buy a reman. A1 Cardone, I got 2 defects, found it hard to believe so I got a new pump, not the prob, finally tore the whole front suspension off and checked each joint 1 by 1 by hand, not the prob. Got pissed and went to Pepboys and got a Fenco reman unit. And truck steers like a car now with no play at all.

Old 11-01-2008, 12:07 PM
mx597turbo
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Actually I find that very easy to believe. We had THREE defective master cylinders for my brother's Cherokee from advance auto parts. I don't remember the brand. We ordered one from quadratec and it worked perfectly.

But I am tempted to get one from a local junk yard. I would only cost $20 and if it works, that would be great. If not, it's not a huge loss.

Quick Reply: Steering not centering from left only. Steering Box?