2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Headers

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 02:20 AM
slowram
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headers

hey guys im thinking about getting headers for my 97 dodge ram quad cab 360 4X4 first im just wondering how much power there give me like is it gonna be a big diff or small and do you think there help my mpg. I wanna get long tube headers and a true dual exhaust so delete the cat what all goes in to it on these trucks. I have a ls1 camaro and headers made a huge diff and i had 2 get o2 sims do i have 2 with these. Oh yea i have 35 by 12.5 on the ram if that matters

Old 11-02-2008, 06:53 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

for a stock application you won't get much gain.

I installed shorty's about 2 months ago and noticed a nicer and smoother acceleration at passing speeds, can't say anything for down low or way up high. I would say the truck "feels" like it breathes easier when you get on it (like a runner who's in shape rather than one that's out of shape), but there's no dyno runs to give me any solid numbers.

Remember, the Ram's not a camaro and though the 360 is a nice sized engine, it's also lugging 1200-1500 more pounds than a camaro too.

Old 11-02-2008, 06:55 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Don't forget to get a pair of headers with EGR ports if you've got that. I can't recall offhand if '96 or '97 was when the got rid of EGR.

Old 11-02-2008, 08:08 AM
White Ram
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do some more research on this forum.

If I remember correctly, many users here have had better gains from other improvements, and may recommend you spend your money there first. A free flow cat and muffler come to mind, as do a Fastman throttle body.

Old 11-02-2008, 10:27 AM
steve05ram360
Hall Of Fame
Received 225 Likes on 210 Posts

I thought the long tubes were supposed to give you more low end torque?

Old 11-02-2008, 11:19 AM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Originally Posted by steve05ram360
I thought the long tubes were supposed to give you more low end torque?
From what I've gathered, the long tubes don't give you much when you have a stock motor. Maybe even a loss of low end some suggest. It may very well be because the collector size is 3" on both headers, add in the matching y pipe which is also 3" etc. It is probably to big for an un-modified motor. I don't have internal engine mods, so thats why when i saw a deal on shorty's, I took it.

Old 11-02-2008, 06:38 PM
05DodgeRamHemi
Banned

I as well don't have any dyno numbers, but I can offer personal experience. I am running the pacesetter long tube headers with the 3" collectors, and 3" y-pipe, with a 3" magnaflow cat, and 3" flowmaster muffler. The only thing I have sucking in more air is a volant cold air intake, so nothing really done to the motor. I did experience a loss of torque. That was the first thing I noticed when I left the exhaust shop. However, gains across the spectrum compensated. I received better passing ability as squirrels pointed out, and the engine was able to rev higher at wide open throttle. Not to mention, gave the truck a really great "cam" sound. Although I did loose some torque, I figure if I ever build the engine up, I'll have the appropriate configuration. Plus, the pacesetters are an excellent bang for your buck. They are cheaper than most shorties, and come long tube with a matching y-pipe. You can also get them ceramic coated. As stated, I don't have any dyno numbers for you, but headers were defiantly something I wanted when I got this truck. It's one of the coolest things about this truck, and sets it aside from most pickups on the road.

Old 11-02-2008, 08:19 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 01DodgeRam360
I as well don't have any dyno numbers, but I can offer personal experience. I am running the pacesetter long tube headers with the 3" collectors, and 3" y-pipe, with a 3" magnaflow cat, and 3" flowmaster muffler. The only thing I have sucking in more air is a volant cold air intake, so nothing really done to the motor. I did experience a loss of torque. That was the first thing I noticed when I left the exhaust shop. However, gains across the spectrum compensated. I received better passing ability as squirrels pointed out, and the engine was able to rev higher at wide open throttle. Not to mention, gave the truck a really great "cam" sound. Although I did loose some torque, I figure if I ever build the engine up, I'll have the appropriate configuration. Plus, the pacesetters are an excellent bang for your buck. They are cheaper than most shorties, and come long tube with a matching y-pipe. You can also get them ceramic coated. As stated, I don't have any dyno numbers for you, but headers were defiantly something I wanted when I got this truck. It's one of the coolest things about this truck, and sets it aside from most pickups on the road.
you really need to get that 52 mm fastman, let your truck breath vvvrrrrmmmmmmmmm

Old 11-02-2008, 08:42 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Originally Posted by lastrights
you really need to get that 52 mm fastman, let your truck breath vvvrrrrmmmmmmmmm
He needs heads to make it breath.

Old 11-02-2008, 09:08 PM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i aswell wanted some info on these pacesetters. cause i am all about building my own kits. for everything. i dont buy any exhaust kits or intake kits. i build it myself. and i peace the common parts together, so i want to know, what configurations can i build to have the best low to mid torque. and can anyone tell me more about these fastman tb spacers. i heard them commanly on the forum so i guess they are a good idea. ya know, where can i get one and how much are they

Quick Reply: Headers