2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Broken Latch On Quad Cab

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 09:05 PM
Shovel
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Both of my rear doos set up on me also. What I did was I bought a can of the almighty Seafoam and sprayed it down real good. This stuff works miracles. Let it set for a couple of days. Enlist the help of a friend to pull on the door while pulling the inside handle while you (hehe) "kick" the door from the inside. It took a couple of tries but my latches finally gave in to the abuse. The latches no longer worked but at least they were stuck in the opened position so I could use the doors again. BTW, $5 at the local wrecking yard. Just make sure they work before you try to take them out because the bolts will probably snap off on you.

Old 11-20-2008, 02:09 PM
Ninety5PoloZ
Rookie

I got the new latch, rods, and the lower latch pin from a local dealer for $60 and they said to just take the sawzall and cut the pin off and replace it. So I might get to it this weekend, but don't know if I will have time

Old 10-15-2010, 11:50 AM
Big Buck 69

Take off the rear inside panel then take off the vent so you can reach inside. Spray the lower hinge with PB Blaster and take off the 3 nuts, also take off the door latch itself with the two rods and inner cable. work the door back and forth a little bit the take pry bar a use it on the bottom latch but not to hard or you will dent body. after the door seems to be very loose give it a good kick or to from the inside. On mine it popped right open then took alll the inards out and replaced them works like new if you have any questions for more detail let me know.

Old 10-15-2010, 11:52 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Buck 69
Take off the rear inside panel then take off the vent so you can reach inside. Spray the lower hinge with PB Blaster and take off the 3 nuts, also take off the door latch itself with the two rods and inner cable. work the door back and forth a little bit the take pry bar a use it on the bottom latch but not to hard or you will dent body. after the door seems to be very loose give it a good kick or to from the inside. On mine it popped right open then took alll the inards out and replaced them works like new if you have any questions for more detail let me know.
Did you happen to notice that this thread hasn't had a post in pushing two years?????? Or, that the member in question hasn't been here for quite some time?????

Old 10-15-2010, 06:22 PM
rideordie
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Did you happen to notice that this thread hasn't had a post in pushing two years?????? Or, that the member in question hasn't been here for quite some time?????
Easy. Chances are someone ran into this same issue and will be able to find this thread now. Maybe he will help someone. Plus, rather lengthen an old thread than start 18 new ones.

Old 10-15-2010, 06:30 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by rideordie
Easy. Chances are someone ran into this same issue and will be able to find this thread now. Maybe he will help someone. Plus, rather lengthen an old thread than start 18 new ones.
And they could find it the same way this guy did. Not like there ever prune the boards here.... that, and I think this actually made its way into the DIY section as well.....

It's just Netiquette. You don't bump multiyear old threads.

Old 10-15-2010, 08:52 PM
squarebit
Amateur

My latch story:

My lower latch on the driver's side was completely seized. Searched forever for a yard with one - EVERY SINGLE LATCH HAD BEEN HARVESTED. Bought a new one from the dealer for 125 bucks. Sadly, the dealer STOCKS these @#$@# things.

Opened the inside panel, undid the 3 nuts. Ground the bolts off with a Dremel, including the top lever thing so it would clear the hole. Door opened.

I still couldn't pry that damn latch off, so I cut it in half with the Dremel and installed a new one.

Zero damage to the door.

Old 01-09-2011, 05:40 PM
Taz-man
Unhappy Door latch on rear 1/2door

I have a 2001 dodge ram quad cab both rear1/2 dr opens & closed fine when i got the trk 4/17/10 but now the divers side rear 1/2 dr gives me hell most of the time i got to push in pretty good to make it release it appears to be the inside not the latch it's self the cable prt that operates the latch ,is this about the same issue as listed below... Ill take all the help on it i can get

Old 01-18-2011, 06:15 AM
jason1023
Default 99 ram 1500

i just bought a 99 quad cab two days ago and my rear doors are also stuck shut. my top latch also loosens when i open the handle, but sticks on bottom. cant find a whole lot of info. I want my doors back. i am afraid i will break the door panels when try to pull them off.

Old 01-18-2011, 11:37 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Grab the 01 service manual from the FAQ section here. Should have pics of what you need to know to get 'em off without destroying them. (don't expect it to be much fun though.)

Quick Reply: Broken Latch On Quad Cab