2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Running Bad, Need HELP!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 03:42 PM
1QUICK4
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running Bad, Need HELP!!!

98 Dodge Ram, 5.2.

The other day I went out of town to pull a friend out who got stuck mudding. On the section line he was on there was mud and water puddles everywhere. On the way home my pickup just started not running right, I have a cold air intake on it and it runs fine at idle but when I drive it it pops and misses. At first I thought it was the air filter because it was dirty, not wet just muddy. But i put a different air filter on it and it still runs like crap.

any help would be appreciated

my biggest concern is that maybe I got some water in the engine, that would suck.

Last edited by 1QUICK4; 11-07-2008 at 04:25 PM.
Old 11-07-2008, 04:45 PM
busaguy05
Professional

Kinda sounds like you got some water in the motor. As long as it runs I would drive it to blow it all out. just take it easy on it.

Old 11-07-2008, 05:26 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

maybe you got water on the plugs, mabe they might need changed take it easy maybe it will dry and you will be fine .

Old 11-08-2008, 02:08 PM
ron333
Captain

It's quite possible that water may have gotten on the plug wires, and if they're old, they may be shorting out on something. I would check the condition of the plug wires and see if there is any evidence of this. The fact that it didn't start acting up until after you were out of the water and on your way home would lead me to believe that it would be something more along these lines and not water in the engine. I suspect that the ignition system is shorting out on something, or between the wires themselves. I would definitely check there first.

Old 11-10-2008, 12:36 PM
1QUICK4

Thanks for your guys help. I rarely drive it, to be honest I've put 2k on it in the last 2 years maybe and last summer I went through the whole ignition and replaced everything.

It started acting up and I haven't been driving it at all. It's been cold out here but the first thing i'm going to do is change the oil just in case any water got in there. I think it's ignition related though because it's fine when it's just sitting there, it'll rev just fine. It's when you drive it and put a load on it it'll pop and miss fire.

Old 11-10-2008, 01:22 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Check the cap and rotor, and the coil wire.

Old 11-11-2008, 08:19 PM
1QUICK4

Well i changed the oil in it today, nothing looked out of the ordinary but still was missing. I hooked up my brothers snap on modus to pull some codes since the check engine light was on, it's always on due to the down stream 02 sensor. And it pulled this code also.

P0505 IAC (AIS) motor circuits- shorted.

I cleared the codes and it still didn't run any better but after about another min of driving it it just started running good again. So I have no idea what happened. I did check the wires but I didn't pull the cap off the distributor because I figured in the back where it is it would be really hard for water to get in there.

Old 11-12-2008, 10:26 AM
Aubrey
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1QUICK4
...last summer I went through the whole ignition and replaced everything.

It started acting up and I haven't been driving it at all.
You need to start here.

Quick Reply: Running Bad, Need HELP!!!