2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

offroad ??

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2008, 06:14 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 00ram59
Thank you for that info. thats what i was looking for. cuz i dont wanna spend the money on a 3" lift and only get a 1" out of it.

also im not sure about the trans cooler, but i do have the 17" rims, skid plates. not sure about the 4.10 gears. i wish there was a easy way to tell if i do have all this different stuff
That is why a lot of lifts you look at will say something like "not for off road package". It is because any kit that uses new front springs will give you 2" less lift than it would on a regular ram 1500.

To check for the gears you have, there should be a tag in your glove box that tells you your rear end ratio. If not there is a metal tag on the rear differential that has the ratio stamped on it.

Old 11-07-2008, 06:15 PM
00ram59
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

heres some info i found on the package..

The Ram Off-Road 4x4 packages a recalibrated suspension and LT275/70R17 all-terrain tires mounted to 17-by-8-inch cast aluminum wheels, a unique steering gear for low-speed agility, and a limited-slip differential; the package includes an upsized battery and alternator, auxiliary transmission oil cooler, a larger radiator, front tow hooks, skid plates, fog lamps, heavy-duty service equipment and unique Off-Road decals

Old 11-07-2008, 06:16 PM
00ram59
Professional

Originally Posted by Off_Road_Teacher
That is why a lot of lifts you look at will say something like "not for off road package". It is because any kit that uses new front springs will give you 2" less lift than it would on a regular ram 1500.

To check for the gears you have, there should be a tag in your glove box that tells you your rear end ratio. If not there is a metal tag on the rear differential that has the ratio stamped on it.

thank ill check it out when its not pouring rain.

Old 11-07-2008, 06:17 PM
00ram59
Professional

so this might be why the guy was goin to use the ram for plowing if no one bought it. so i take it this would capable of plowing due to the trans cooler, high amp alternator

Old 11-07-2008, 06:18 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

heres some info i found on the package..

The Ram Off-Road 4x4 packages a recalibrated suspension and LT275/70R17 all-terrain tires mounted to 17-by-8-inch cast aluminum wheels, a unique steering gear for low-speed agility, and a limited-slip differential; the package includes an upsized battery and alternator, auxiliary transmission oil cooler, a larger radiator, front tow hooks, skid plates, fog lamps, heavy-duty service equipment and unique Off-Road decals
There you go, I knew there were some things I was forgetting. When I had mine I threw a set of spacers on the front and aal's on the rear and called it a day. It gave me about 4" of lift over a regular ram and it was very inexpencive to put together. Never had a problem with it in all the years I ran it like that.

Old 11-07-2008, 06:20 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

so this might be why the guy was goin to use the ram for plowing if no one bought it. so i take it this would capable of plowing due to the trans cooler, high amp alternator
Even with the upgrades, I would be reluctant to plow with any ram that doesn't have a stronger trans than the factory one found in the 2nd and 3rd gen rams 1500's.

Old 11-07-2008, 06:23 PM
00ram59
Professional

ok i wasnt planning on plowing but since the guy told me he was goin to unless i bought it, i figured i would ask. what is ur view on the torison ( i kno spelled wrong) bars in the front you think by goin a couple turns on that would be safe, i kno a couple ppl to do that on chevys. and have read alittle about it on dodges. you got a link on those spacers or anything. i do live right by summit racing here in ohio maybe they got them.

Old 11-07-2008, 06:27 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

ok i wasnt planning on plowing but since the guy told me he was goin to unless i bought it, i figured i would ask. what is ur view on the torison ( i kno spelled wrong) bars in the front you think by goin a couple turns on that would be safe, i kno a couple ppl to do that on chevys. and have read alittle about it on dodges. you got a link on those spacers or anything. i do live right by summit racing here in ohio maybe they got them.
The front coil spacers for a second gen can be found on ebay for a pretty cheap. I used 2" spacers which made the front level with the rear. Having it level was ok but I wasn't crazy about the look so I added and aal in the rear. I got the aal from summit and they were fairly low priced too. I also got new longer u-bolts because the stock ones on the rear were not long enough when I put on the aal.

Old 11-07-2008, 06:42 PM
Off_Road_Teacher
Banned

Also, if you do get spacers use the metal ones not the plastic ones.

Old 11-07-2008, 06:42 PM
00ram59
Professional

and i can do this with the offroad package, since im takin it you had that one too.

Quick Reply: offroad ??