2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Alternator help!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2008, 02:37 PM
punkrguy
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Alternator help!!!!!

Put a new alt and battery in today (both were shot). I keep poping the alternator fuse (the 140 one). I'm running out of ideas here! Any and all ideas would be appreciated! Thanks

Old 11-08-2008, 03:40 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

did you reconnect the heavy ground strap to the alt?

did you try to upgrade the alt or did you go with the stock replacement?

Old 11-08-2008, 04:33 PM
punkrguy
Professional

Stock replace, got it all up and running good now tho. Thanks for the info tho! Always appreciated.

Old 11-08-2008, 04:40 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Well ,what did you do to get it "up and running"? I'm sure some one with a similar prob would like to know.

Old 11-10-2008, 02:11 PM
punkrguy
Professional

The alt came in the box with a plastic piece on the back were the ground straps into and i took that off (thinking it was just for shipping purposes to protect it), blew 3 alternator fuses, decided to try and put the plastic piece back on and re-installed the ground. Started right up. No idea why that worked, something to do with possibly it wasnt grounding right while touching the aluminum housing of the alternator? Not really sure, but its roaring again and i guess thats what really matters! By the way, if your engine is making a noise like theres a vacuum leak or power steering pump going, check your alt, me and everyone else thought that the noise was a vacuum leak but it never affected the truck in any way.......thats because it was the alt bushings going out.

Quick Reply: Alternator help!!!!!