2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

97 Ram stalls

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2008, 08:02 AM
JCribb
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 97 Ram stalls

I have a 97 ram sport w/ the gutless 318 backed by I presume 46re trans. 145k miles.

The truck just started frequently stalling when you come off the gas for say traffic or stop light, etc. The truck wants to run but I can watch the tach drop from 1100 or so to 250 before it'll cut right out. It always restarts but this crap is annoying.

I noticed this problem when I went out after lunch one day (engine full operating temp) to go back to work it took 5 minutes to start. I suspect fuel pump is taking a dump on me, because it acted like it wasn't getting any fuel.

Ever since then it starts and runs great but it cuts out. What may be the prob?

BTW anyone got any significant power improvers for not much $$$ besides swapping to a 360 or 5.9 CTD?

Thanks in advance,
Jeremy

Old 11-10-2008, 09:51 AM
dangerousdegner

Hopefully this can help. I had similar issue, although I caused it myself by killing my battery. Your IAC Idle Air Control, sensor/valve may be going bad. This is on the back of your throttle body and from what others have told me they are around 50 bones or so. Now, if you want to try what helped me, I just unhooked my battery long enough for the computer to reset, and then when I started the truck up again I cycled from 2500 RPM's down to 760ish, slowly, supposedly this sets the idle. I did this three weeks ago and haven't had any problems.
Good luck hope this is the ticket

Old 11-10-2008, 09:52 AM
dangerousdegner

Oh, if you do this cycle the rpm's like four or five times before just letting it idle

Old 11-10-2008, 10:15 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

And as far as it being gutless, it is because you might have 3:55 gears. Of course, since you have a sport it my be 4:10's, in which case it should not be gutless. Unless you have oversize tires. Or a blown plenum gasket, or bad 02 sensor or cat is going bad.Or needs a tune up. ETC.... And you should get a gauge and check the fuel pressure.Maybe the pressure regulator is no good.

Old 11-10-2008, 11:46 AM
JCribb

Originally Posted by zman17
And as far as it being gutless, it is because you might have 3:55 gears. Of course, since you have a sport it my be 4:10's, in which case it should not be gutless. Unless you have oversize tires. Or a blown plenum gasket, or bad 02 sensor or cat is going bad.Or needs a tune up. ETC.... And you should get a gauge and check the fuel pressure.Maybe the pressure regulator is no good.
It does have the 3.55 gears within 9 1/4 rear end. It has 245/75/16 and it kills the speedo by two to five mph due to factory was 225/75/16. I replaced my mainstream O2 in may with a bosch one from Autozone(engine light came on for it). It still has factory manifolds and cat. I just installed new cap, rotor, wires, and champion plugs in sept. (had a cyl #2 misfire code). It has drop in K&N filter inside factory box. That's way I got it in April at 136k.

It's just really slow and has no pick up whatsoever. I'm used to vortec chevys and this truck is kind of a bummer. (my chevy needs a motor, so I can't complain too much) OH it sucks the crap outta some gas! I might see 12-13 in town and it'll squeeze 19 on highway @ 65mph, 17 @ 70 etc.

What is the fuel pressure supposed to be?

Old 11-10-2008, 12:08 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

I figured you had 3:55's. Fuel pressure should be around 49 pounds and should hold after you turn it off . You need to check the Cat,you say it's factory, does that mean it's original? If it is it's probably bad . And you need to check the plenum gasket, because that's probably why the cat is no good. Take the whole air cleaner intake off and open up the butterflies on the TB and look down inside and see if you have any oil pooling inside the intake manifold.

Old 11-10-2008, 03:46 PM
JCribb

Originally Posted by zman17
I figured you had 3:55's. Fuel pressure should be around 49 pounds and should hold after you turn it off . You need to check the Cat,you say it's factory, does that mean it's original? If it is it's probably bad . And you need to check the plenum gasket, because that's probably why the cat is no good. Take the whole air cleaner intake off and open up the butterflies on the TB and look down inside and see if you have any oil pooling inside the intake manifold.
Cool thanks for info. I did wonder about how to check for plenum gasket failure. It does use/leak oil approx 1 quart every 2k miles. I've got a oil leak from around valve covers and I've got bad leak at front and rear mains too, is this a common dodge thing?

As for cat the only exhaust mods are when guy i bought it from put straight pipes on it. After the cat. I'm 3rd owner (he got it from his uncle).

But I also had a brainstorm here. I have the famous torque convertor whine going into reverse. So if I've got a slipping TQ conv, that'll rob serious power from the engine, right?

Is there a do it once right from the git-go trans replacement? Supposedly it's been rebuilt once, I dunno I haven't seen reciepts.

Old 11-10-2008, 07:19 PM
dodgeram07
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JCribb
It does use/leak oil approx 1 quart every 2k miles.
oh yeah, sounds a bad plenum gasket to me.

Old 11-11-2008, 07:48 AM
JCribb
Default No oil pooling in bottom of TB

I opened up the butterflies last night and shined a flashlight into the dark unknown and it was dry. It was barely wet down there. So I'm thinking that the plenum gasket is NOT blown, and my TQ convertor is to blame for power robbery.

Known facts:

318/ 4spd auto 2wd w/ 245/75/16 tires
front and rear mains leak...bad, minimal oil leak around valve covers
stock cast iron manifolds, cat and flowmaster single in dual out muffler
drop in K&N filter inside factory air box
new dist cap, rotor, CHAMPION plugs, and wires (sept 08)
new mainstream O2 sensor (may 08)
TQ conv whines when going into reverse when truck is cold (sounds like power steering pump)= found answer on here that trans is dying

Major complaint:

The SOB has crap for power, could be plugged cat - dunno for sure
could be restrictive exhaust manifolds
above all it could be slipping trans sucking all my power

Justification to power loss:
Used to vortec chevrolet trucks and they seem to fly!

Old 11-11-2008, 11:28 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP

"Justification to power loss:
Used to vortec chevrolet trucks and they seem to fly!"

Yea you can't compare the two. But making sure all that other stuff(like cat) is good, and a gear change will do wonders.

You know, now that I think of it, you might also have the "death flash" In which case a tuner will help.Do a search on here and read all about it. Look and see if you have a sticker on the PCM and or hood.

Last edited by zman17; 11-11-2008 at 11:48 AM.

Quick Reply: 97 Ram stalls