2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1997 DODGERAM1500--rear outer seals LEAKING??

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 11:49 PM
rockman23
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997 DODGERAM1500--rear outer seals LEAKING??

Hi, newbie here....hope you all are good.

I've had my 1997dodgeRAM4X4 since NEW---I went to get REAR brakes done & there was a little GREASE(oil) on the rear brake shoes(drum)BOTH sides----the shop said the REAR SEALS were leaking & wanted xtra $500.00 to take vBOTH axles out & replace SEALS.....

About 8 years ago I somehow got WATER in the REAR AXLE & the DIFFERENTIAL was leaking fluid as a result of THINNING the GearOIL,
the dealership drained ALL fluid & refilled & replaced gasket(differentialCover)----

I think that when the rear gear oil was dilluted w/water, it not only leaked out the center diff., but ALSO leaked a little out BOTH rear outer seals & eventually got on the brakes shoes & THAT's how the oil got on my brakes...NOT because the outer seals are bad??
I mentioned this scenerio to the mechanic(today) & he didn't even acknowledge my story & told me it was the outer seals & wanted to replace them...He ALSO said this was common w/DODGE RAMS & chevy's(rearOuter seal leakage)--

I also think that if it was BAD SEALS, there would be gearOil on the GROUND under truck, NO?

WHAT is your OPINION, are these OUTER SEAL LEAKS common?

Oh, I got 130,000 miles on truck & have BABIED it since birth, NEVER off road, BUT have seen SNOW & ICE it's WHOLE LIFE.

I'm thinkin it wont leak anymore so the mech. replaced shoes & called it a day & cleaned off old oil(it was OLD oil). So I guess I'll wait & see if it still leaks, like I said, it NEVER even got to the ground?

Whay do ya think??

THANKYOU, in advance...

Old 11-12-2008, 03:24 AM
rockman23
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You know---after inspecting the brake shoes(rear, with 138,000miles)they looked almost like NEW??
This, I think, tells me the shoes were coated w/oil MANY, MANY years ago(maybe when I got WATER in my Differential & diluted the gearOil)& it leaked out my REAR OUTER SEALS onto my rear brake shoes(there was about 25,000 miles on truck)---so, the SHOES were coated w/gearOil & NEVER WORE OUT?? I ALWAYS wondered why my brakes seemed kinda weak...

Old 11-12-2008, 07:32 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

it possible that the oil on the brakes is old. time willl tell. it doesn't cost much in time or money to wait and see. if you've cleaned off the brakes plates and part real real good, then inspect it every couple of week, you should be able to tell.

its also a good idea to drain and replace diff fluid every year or two.

i think the price of $500 extra to replace the seals is pretty high. its not that hard and the seals are not too expensive. you do have to drain the diff, remove pin and c-clips, and then slide the axles out. did the $500 include rear bearings ? seems like way too high.

edit - i've seen major leaks with oil on the ground, and minor leaks with oil on shoes only. it happens. seals wear out.

Quick Reply: 1997 DODGERAM1500--rear outer seals LEAKING??