2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

V10

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 08:45 PM
Gotta feed them horses
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default V10

Hi. I have a V10. The engine runs great and is super strong. I have been reading around this forum for a while and have heard about gaining HP. There isn't much about the V10. Mostly what I have heard about is replacing the throttle body which I don't even know where that thingy is and replacing chips which is kinda expensive. I feel drawn to increasing power now that i know it's possible and I am interested to see what would happen if I made my V10 any stronger. Do torque and HP increase proportionatey or do they increase based on the modification that is done? The V10 apparently has a crap load of torque and not a crap load of HP.. only 310??? Anyways.. I guess the question is .. What is the first most basic thing I can do to get the most gain on HP. and how do I do it.... for maybe around $200 which would be cool.. And do spark plugs make a difference? And where is the throttle body on the engine? And is the air filter under the big silver thing that says 8.0L V10? or is it under the black plastic thing? Hmmmmm .. and when you want to check the codes that the check engine light represents where do they display and where on the internet can you check what they mean.. and how might you reset the computer.. and is that an ok thing to do...

Old 11-12-2008, 10:59 PM
1980blackfiveoh
Professional

I thought the K&N cold air intake and a switch to synthetic oil freed up a few ponies

Old 11-13-2008, 11:08 AM
Gotta feed them horses
Professional

Ok. Do I just get new oil and filter and change it? I use Castrol.. Is the K&N air intake an easy install? I thought some people would have ideas but I guess most people just don't know anything about the V10...

Old 11-13-2008, 11:49 AM
RamWood
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

for $200.00 I don't think that you are going to get any kind of gain that you will really notice. you may be able to eek out a couple MPG's (Which I bet you would like with that V10) what are you getting for MPG by the way?

I would only change the filter and not get the whole intake. go with K&N and yes, it's under the plastic thing. it should just have some clips on it. Hell I bet the guy at Autozone will do it for you if you ask.

Going with synthetic oil will make the engine run better (smoother) and I do recomend that. but I don't think you will see a big power gain.

hey it's a nice ride and it's faster then my 360 so be happy!

Old 11-13-2008, 08:18 PM
CaptCameltoe
Professional

Have you had your husband or boyfriend look at it?