2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Who has used BALANCING BEADS to balance their oversized tires?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 01:14 PM
JAKD RAM
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who has used BALANCING BEADS to balance their oversized tires?

I'm mounting 35" tires on my truck today, these are usually a pain in the butt to balance. I am thinking about using balancing beads, i've heard great things about them but I have not used them and i'm just curious what you all think about them? Anyone here used them, any experiences? Please feel free to add your suggestion/experience with balancing beads. thanks

Old 11-17-2008, 03:39 PM
JAKD RAM
Rookie

Anyone? I would have thought someone here would have used these before? Either way I guess i'll let you guys know how they work after I mount the tires tonight.

Old 11-17-2008, 04:00 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Im sure someone has, but the forum seems dead today for some reason. I never used them but have seen them before.

Old 11-17-2008, 04:07 PM
dillonjm
Veteran

I havent used them, but a competent shop should be able to balance 35's without too much trouble, they really aren't that large or a tire. Unless they are boggers, in which case it doesnt matter cuz the ride is gonna suck =p

Old 11-17-2008, 05:20 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

My 35" Toyo M/T's balanced easily. 2 of them took no weight at all, and the other two only took a single small weight each.

I've heard of using balancing beads, but have never seen it done.

Old 11-17-2008, 11:17 PM
JAKD RAM
Rookie

So I mounted the tires, these were used tires and two of them are in GREAT shape, probably 75% tread with pretty close even wear all around, and two very UNEVEN wore tires (i didn't realize this so i'm not real happy) BUt their a LOT better than my old tires and I needed my truck running so whatever.

So I added 10oz. of balancing beads to each tire. Drove it around a bit and it felt ok, but I don't know if it was just me but they feel kinda wobbly. But it could be the road since lifted dodge's aren't known for their soft ride, but I just don't think something feels right.

Could this be the actual TWO TIRES that have uneven wear making the wobbly feeling? IF these beads are supposed to balance the tires so well, if I were to put one of the tires on a balancing machine would it have a even balance? Just wondering because we never put the tires on a balancing machine because it's "supposidly" not needed since the beads displace their weight along the tire when it's above 30 mph. Hmm I dunno, i'm going to drive the truck tomorrow to work approx 80 miles round trip and see how she does. It could just be that I need two new tires? For now either way i'll have to deal with it but I just can't give a definite opinion on if these work great right now. I'll report back later after more driving.
Sorry for the rambling

Old 11-17-2008, 11:25 PM
dodgeguy97
Professional

yes i have used them with my 305/70/16 now i didn't like them maybe because of the tire one day they road smooth and the next felt like my tire's where about to fly off maybe the tire shop goofed up thats was my first time . so i just installed 35's yesterday and they static balanced them work great

Old 11-17-2008, 11:40 PM
grizzlyfarmer2
Rookie

id recommend putting the 2 ****ty tires on the back you wont feel as much from them back there

Old 11-18-2008, 12:26 AM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dodgeguy97
yes i have used them with my 305/70/16 now i didn't like them maybe because of the tire one day they road smooth and the next felt like my tire's where about to fly off maybe the tire shop goofed up thats was my first time . so i just installed 35's yesterday and they static balanced them work great
Static balance? Wow!
Welcome to 1950...
I didn't think anyone did that anymore.

Old 11-18-2008, 02:15 AM
dodgeguy97
Professional

Originally Posted by rabbler
Static balance? Wow!
Welcome to 1950...
I didn't think anyone did that anymore.
it was supposed to be stick on weights type error wow glad someone's watching

Last edited by dodgeguy97; 11-18-2008 at 02:18 AM.

Quick Reply: Who has used BALANCING BEADS to balance their oversized tires?