2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Removing the cAT CONVERTER on 98 RAM

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 05:53 PM
SmokeGrinder
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 2000 it has a y pipe before the cat...put headers and flowmasters on it, then i cut the cat off and spent $10 on a pipe and made a pipe for it. Better sound, Better top end. Revs quicker

Old 11-24-2008, 09:57 PM
MAJohns
Captain

i have an 01 i cut the pipe behind the cat, zip tied the pipe to the driveshaft and took a hammer and punch and knocked it all loose and racked it out when i got done i cranked the truck and reved it up a couple times to make sure i got all the **** out so it wouldnt stop me flows up and cut the zip tie and welded it back up and this is what i ended up with http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOEnpTyCZ9o the light came on one time and hasnt been on since! so far i love it. its a dodge so i am getting 12.5MPG! gotta love it

Old 12-15-2008, 09:01 AM
techshooter02
Amateur

sounds like a lot of work to punch out the cat, but cheaper than a new one.

Old 12-15-2008, 09:13 AM
mcss8541
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the Flex-a-Lite dual electric fans with the temp switch from either Jegs or Summit Racing and I have definitely seen a big improvment on MPG and "freed up" HP. It's not hard to install and . I have a 98 Ram 1500 Sport 4X4 with 5.9L and automatic tranny. I also run the Royal Purple in both diffs and and engine and no problems as well. I only use Royal Purple and would use the tranny version but they don't make a Chrysler/Dodge version that I'm aware of. Hopefully this helps.

Old 02-15-2009, 01:28 AM
techshooter02
Amateur

well this has all been a bunch of great information.
I never got to put a new cat on my truck, but just the other day ...two days ago
I was driving to work and herd a nasty rattling sound like marbles....thought the torque converter was coming apart.....crawled under the truck and the noise coming from the cat converter.
so pulled into the shop today and slit open the cat's belly and 2" full legnth and gutted that sucker. and welded her belly back up.
sounds better, but you can sure smell the fuel from the exaust now when the truck is idling,
is that normal?????
smells like an old chevy carburated truck .

Old 02-15-2009, 02:43 AM
dakotas ram
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

seems like your o2 sensor would read that its running rich.......ive heard that if you start getting codes, to unplug your aftercat sensor and tie it up to your frame so it gets a dif reading that your front and then your computer will think the cat is working---much cheaper than an o2 sim

Quick Reply: Removing the cAT CONVERTER on 98 RAM