2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

output speed senor location 99 ram 1500 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2008, 03:16 PM
zeusdog
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default output speed senor location 99 ram 1500 4x4

I have read the other post about the location of the sensor but it has me confused still on the other post it says "The speed sensor is located in the overdrive gear case. The sensor is positioned over the park gear and monitors transmission output shaft rotating speed."

everone else says its on the rear of the transmission the haynes manual says on a 4x4 its on the transfer case, but still I cant find it........

if it is in the overdrive gear case how do I find that do I need to take the bottom pan off to get to it if it is inside im really confused but the reason I need this done fast is becouse I live in texas and we have inspection stickers on our windows mine is expired and the test requires the check engine light to be off normall and even if you take out the bulb their computers still check for this I "tried" but this little sensor is stopping me from getting my inspection sticker so any help would be nice.

Old 11-19-2008, 04:28 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

It's on top of the rear diff. (pumkin)! Do you have abs and brake lights on?

Old 11-19-2008, 07:10 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

there are two speed sensors.
the one on the top of the rear diff is called the rear ABS/Speed sensor. or something like that.
the one on the output shaft of the trans/t-case is called the vehicle speed sensor (VSS).
its on the rear of the 2wd trans, or on the rear of the 4wd t-case. i changed mine, but can't remember which side its on. but, its the only elec connector back there at the rear. hang on, i'll find a pic.

list of all...http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/x,ca...52FWheel%2BHub

rear diff. http://info.rockauto.com/SMP/SMPDeta...ml?ALS203.html

trans/t-case. http://info.rockauto.com/SMP/SMPDetail3.html?SC104.html

Last edited by dhvaughan; 11-19-2008 at 07:21 PM.
Old 12-01-2008, 09:22 PM
zeusdog
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default thank you everyone!!!!!!!!!!!

thanks to all that posted a reply to this,thanks to the help I got here I found what I was looking for......
I go to autozone mostly for whatever I need but this time they really dissapointed me there computer system was wrong on this and the part that I got from there was wrong and wasted my time in trying to find it.
when I tried checker auto parts online store I found the part that was shown here then I ordered it and it works fine now..

I will post a picture of where the part is so no one has to go thrugh this again...........

thank you,

Quick Reply: output speed senor location 99 ram 1500 4x4