2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-05-2015, 12:42 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: 4WD
Print Wikipost

Flashing 4WD light

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2011 | 11:04 PM
Rammified_99

Originally Posted by ophidia
I was having a similar problem and it ended up being the vacuum switch in the transfer case sticking. It's just screwed into the top of the case and has a big plug with 4 vacuum lines coming out of it. Just pull off this plug and use a 27MM deep socket or wrench to take it out. Be careful you don't break off the nipples or you'll have to get a new one like I did.

It's probably partially or totally stuck in. Take it out and clean it off thoroughly, probably with electrical contact cleaner (others may have better recommendations on cleaners), until it moves freely. If that doesn't work the part isn't very expensive, though most parts houses appear to have to order it (15-20 bucks). Taking it out to clean it is more or less free, though.
Had this same issue with mine, shifting out of 4X4 into 2Hi....Light would blink. NO DTCs' or hard codes. was Transfer Case Position sensor gummed up.
Try turning on fan blower to med-hi, (No A/C), and floor it or accelerate hard, if you lose dash airflow, and switches to defroster vents, you have vacuum leak. These 2nd Gen. trucks are bad with the "Evap" leaks as well..Usually at purge solenoid lines, or "charcoal cannister" hoses.

Old 10-11-2011 | 11:05 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher

^Dude, 2008 much?

Old 10-12-2011 | 12:18 PM
Rammified_99

Ummmm...For 'Ol Blue?
Hell I dunno if I'd sell it.
If I did, I'm sure I'd want too much.
What would ya offer?
137,000 miles, 46RE tans, 5.2L, never had a "Tow Package" on it,
95% rust free, garaged since 2001.

Old 10-27-2011 | 02:39 AM
Rammified_99

Originally Posted by wadbuc54601
Hello,

When at a complete stop my 4 wheel drive light is off. When driving it is either flashing very fast or just staying on. The 4 wheel drive is off. When I put the vehicle into 4 wheel drive the light will stay on. Have tried several time putting it in and taking it out of 4 wheel and no go. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Wade
Any luck with the flashing 4WD indicator?
If still having issues, the Center Axle Disconnect (CAD) assembly and vacuum ports & Indicator diagram can be found here.
http://dodgeram.org/tech/repair/4X4/cad_mechanism.jpg

Old 10-27-2011 | 02:44 AM
Rammified_99

Originally Posted by wadbuc54601
Hello,

When at a complete stop my 4 wheel drive light is off. When driving it is either flashing very fast or just staying on. The 4 wheel drive is off. When I put the vehicle into 4 wheel drive the light will stay on. Have tried several time putting it in and taking it out of 4 wheel and no go. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Wade
Any luck with the flashing 4WD indicator?
If it's of any help, this (CAD) or Center Axle Disconnect assembly can be seen here, with the indicator sensor, and vacuum ports.
http://dodgeram.org/tech/repair/4X4/cad_mechanism.jpg

More than likely the sensor connection may be a little dirty.
If this is the case, I'd clean the contacts up with a wire brush or sandpaper & apply Dialectric Grease between the connection.

Old 10-27-2011 | 12:34 PM
Rammified_99
Default Here's 1 bad spot on the 2nd Gen/ trucks..

Originally Posted by Silver_Dodge
You have to find the leak first, which is the hardest part. Do a search, lots of people have posted where they found their vacuum leaks.
Here's where mine was, there are 2 aluminum lines that run to the transfer case solenoid. They are joined to 2 plastic lines by rubber connectors.
One is RED (Which is wherethe repair I made here is seen).
Flashing 4WD light-img01516-20111027-1118.jpg

These lines are on the RH/Passenger side anchored to the transmission crossmember. You can see the O.E.M. piece in my hand, and the 1/8" vacuum hose "Patch" I made. No more Sucky vacuum leak for here anyway..These were common repairs when I used to "Turn Wrenches"..

Quick Reply: Flashing 4WD light