2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

NP 231 Problems

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 03:31 PM
TJV
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NP 231 Problems

I have a 97 Ram 1500 w/ np-231. I started noticing a grinding then a clunk when hitting the gas. I pulled the transfer case and first noticed the snap ring after the bearing in the tail case broken. Can I stop and just replace the snap ring? Will a broken snap ring cause these sounds.

Thanks.

Old 11-28-2008, 08:27 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah it will. You might want to check everything out just to be sure. That is a very common problem. Sonnax makes a fix for that exact problem.

Old 11-28-2008, 08:48 PM
TJV

Thanks,
I have ordered a "transfer case saver" and a chain since I will be in there anyway.

Old 12-04-2008, 01:01 PM
birchbark

I have the same problem that you described, when I took my t case apart I had the same retainer ring broke, so I bought a new ring, replaced it, and thought all would be good. I thought wrong, when I put it all back together and tried it out, the same thing happed immediately. I thought maybe there could be something else wrong. So before I look at replacing my t case I wouldn't mind trying a that "transfer case saver" you mentioned. Where did you order it from? I tried looking at the Sonex site but couldn't find it. I think I'll change out the chain as well this time. Thanks for any info

birchbark

Last edited by birchbark; 12-04-2008 at 01:03 PM.
Old 12-04-2008, 05:23 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Well it's Sonnax not Sonex for starters.

Old 12-05-2008, 10:45 AM
TJV

here is the web page for the transfercase saver
http://www.drivetrain.com/gillies/Tcasesaver.html

Old 02-13-2009, 05:04 PM
PartsChaser
Professional

I know this thread is a little old now, but I have the exact problem, and in searching around, I think the T-case saver has moved locations (old links I found were dead).

http://www.drivetrain.com/parts_cata...ase_saver.html

What is required to replace this part, do you have to pull the entire transfer case, or can you just remove the tail shaft? They have some good diagrams for the install on that site, just curious if anyone had actually done it, and what results you had.

Thanks!

Old 02-23-2009, 04:44 PM
dodge6

Snap ring can be replaced by removing tail piece only. But the noise heard is the edge of the gear grinding in side the transfer case, when ring snaps the shaft can move, usually under acceleration. This will usually make small metal
shavings in the case. At least drain case and refill, or better to pull cover and inspect/clean out. Also check u joints on drive shafts if bad can cause extra load on snap ring, shaft splines should be lubed good too.

Old 02-23-2009, 05:32 PM
PartsChaser
Professional

Thanks dodge6. As of now, I dont have any grinding noise, just the clunking feeling upon accelerating away from a dead stop. I'll peel the tail piece off and see what I uncover. Thanks!

Quick Reply: NP 231 Problems