2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What is this and what does it do?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 05:44 PM
BlueBeast2
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What is this and what does it do?

I found this while getting my block ready to pull out. I"ve never seen one of these before so I was wondedering what it is and what it does. It mounts to the back of the block and that black part goes into a hole in the tranny.

Old 11-28-2008, 06:18 PM
TruckinDodge
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Crankshaft Position sensor I believe I believe it should help the computer keep timing.

OT good choice on doing it all while it's apart I could only come up with a grand so I had to live within my means including tools.

Chuck

Old 11-28-2008, 07:37 PM
BlueBeast2
Champion

hmm why would something that deals with the crank go into the tranny?

Thanks for your support. I don't have the money to do it either. I'm determind to do it somehow though.

Just looked it up on advance's site and thats what it is. Still dont get why it goes into the tranny

Last edited by BlueBeast2; 11-28-2008 at 07:40 PM.
Old 11-28-2008, 08:02 PM
Rex-TheDOGG
Captain

Originally Posted by BlueBeast2
Just looked it up on advance's site and thats what it is. Still dont get why it goes into the tranny
It's a pulse generator and is triggered by timing notches in the flywheel.

Old 11-28-2008, 08:23 PM
BlueBeast2
Champion

so if you change your flexplate it has to be put in a certain way or does it only go one way?

Old 11-28-2008, 09:24 PM
TruckinDodge
Professional

If I remember right it will only mount up one way just be very careful not to pinch the wires when you tighten up the bell housing.

Old 11-28-2008, 10:40 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

that sensor sets the base timing for the PCM by monitoring the notches on the flywheel as they go around. Without it, your truck won't even turn over. It'll only go in one way and I suggest you put the tranny in before re-installing it. There should be a rubber grommet that it fits into.

Old 11-29-2008, 12:45 AM
BlueBeast2
Champion

the tranny is staying in. What I ment about going one way I was talking about the flexplate. If it has timing marks on it does it have to go a certain way or is there a notch on it or something so it can only go on one way

Old 11-29-2008, 01:00 PM
Rex-TheDOGG
Captain

After looking at the manuals I have, they all want you to index the flywheel to the crank hub before you remove it, so that's telling me it can only go on one way. If it was me, I would rotate the crank to TDC (dot up on crank gear) and then put an index mark straight up on the flywheel/crankshaft hub. That way, you can install the old flywheel at the correct position on the new shortblock crank hub. The people you are buying the SB from may be able to tell you a better way.

Old 11-29-2008, 02:19 PM
BlueBeast2
Champion

ok the reason I ask so much is because when i pulled the starter the ends of the teeth looked funny. I'm worried that when I pull the motor my flexplate (everybody calles it a flywheel but I'm pretty sure its only considered a flywheel on a manual) will be messed up. Just getting a idea how much of a pain in the *** that will be if I have to change that too