2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Defroster not working properly

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 08:06 AM
WaynesWorld
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Defroster not working properly

Its that time of year here in the north east. It took longer than usuall for my windshield to defrost while letting my truck warm up. I have the controler set on full defrost and turn the fan up but can feel it blowing out by my feet more than up by the defroster vents.

Suggestions? Does the controller work on vacuum? maybe there is a leak?

Old 11-29-2008, 09:08 AM
iwhitne
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

that's really weird.. cause mine wants to blow out the defrost when driving.. even if it's on the floor setting....try reving the engine a bit... on mine when I rev her up the vents always go to the defrost mode... prolly some freakin vacum leak somewhere

Old 11-29-2008, 09:12 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

It could be the controller itself, blend door, check valve in vacuum line, or vacuum line. If you have CC their is also a vacuum line under the battery tray that goes bad also.

Old 11-29-2008, 10:54 AM
ophidia
Captain

Also check the vacuum lines underneath (for the 4WD). That's where my leak was. It took forever to find it.

Old 02-09-2019, 12:32 AM
krazybob
Rookie

Now you're scaring me in my limited budget. We're socked in with snow but nothing under the truck. I just can't get the blower to blow. The small blowers in the back and then in the third seat are blowing but I can't get the defroster to blow. I don't recall if the fuse was in the engine compartment or the small camel I recall underneath the driver's side? I did just have all the transmission lines replaced. They went out two weeks ago and by the grace of God I didn't blow the tranny. I lost everything out of the pan and AAA towed me in and now I've got all new rather expensive hoses. The thick stuff. I have use the defroster since. I'm wondering if it's possible in my case it's something is just frozen. It's been but a$$ naked cold up here.

Making matters worse as we've got another 5 in of snow coming in tonight and then building up all through next week. We got hammered!

Last edited by krazybob; 02-09-2019 at 12:35 AM.
Old 02-09-2019, 02:04 AM
MoparFanatic21
Legend
Received 306 Likes on 298 Posts

Originally Posted by krazybob
Now you're scaring me in my limited budget. We're socked in with snow but nothing under the truck. I just can't get the blower to blow. The small blowers in the back and then in the third seat are blowing but I can't get the defroster to blow. I don't recall if the fuse was in the engine compartment or the small camel I recall underneath the driver's side? I did just have all the transmission lines replaced. They went out two weeks ago and by the grace of God I didn't blow the tranny. I lost everything out of the pan and AAA towed me in and now I've got all new rather expensive hoses. The thick stuff. I have use the defroster since. I'm wondering if it's possible in my case it's something is just frozen. It's been but a$$ naked cold up here.

Making matters worse as we've got another 5 in of snow coming in tonight and then building up all through next week. We got hammered!
I'm confused a little. Does it blow warm. Can you check where it blows? Or are you seeing it isn't blowing as hard?

Old 02-09-2019, 06:38 AM
krazybob
Rookie

Originally Posted by MoparFanatic21
I'm confused a little. Does it blow warm. Can you check where it blows? Or are you seeing it isn't blowing as hard?
it isn't blowing at all when I turn the left hand **** on for the fan. If I turn on the blowers for the back they blow but don't really get warm. We're in the twenties up here in the mountains right now. But I get nothing coming out of the defroster and if I put it in the duel position where it blows defroster and I believe it's the legs I normally can hear a flap opening or something. I'm not getting that. So no I'm not getting any heat out of the defroster at all.

The vehicle has not moved since the snow storm set in. I did confirm that the 40 amp fuse is in the engine compartment but do do darkness and cold I have not had a chance to take a tester to check the fuse. The fuse however does look visually intact.

Old 02-09-2019, 01:26 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

it isn't blowing at all when I turn the left hand **** on for the fan. If I turn on the blowers for the back they blow but don't really get warm. We're in the twenties up here in the mountains right now. But I get nothing coming out of the defroster and if I put it in the duel position where it blows defroster and I believe it's the legs I normally can hear a flap opening or something. I'm not getting that. So no I'm not getting any heat out of the defroster at all.

The vehicle has not moved since the snow storm set in. I did confirm that the 40 amp fuse is in the engine compartment but do do darkness and cold I have not had a chance to take a tester to check the fuse. The fuse however does look visually intact.
What vehicle? Sounds like a blend door if you can't hear the door, where you normally did. The not blowing at all could be the motor. I can get until more details once I get the vehicle information

Old 02-09-2019, 04:33 PM
krazybob
Rookie

It is a 2003 Dodge Durango 4x4 4.7 L. I Love This SUV but it's starting to nickel-and-dime me. Everything and it was running fine and I think it's rather suspiciously coincidental that due to a very nasty snow storm suddenly the defroster doesn't work. That's why I wondered if something may be frozen. Usually defroster heat comes out for the windshield and I only hear the flapper noise when I move it to the dual position that allows defroster heat to the windshield and heat to the floorboard area simultaneously.

Old 02-09-2019, 05:03 PM
MoparFanatic21
Legend

It is a 2003 Dodge Durango 4x4 4.7 L. I Love This SUV but it's starting to nickel-and-dime me. Everything and it was running fine and I think it's rather suspiciously coincidental that due to a very nasty snow storm suddenly the defroster doesn't work. That's why I wondered if something may be frozen. Usually defroster heat comes out for the windshield and I only hear the flapper noise when I move it to the dual position that allows defroster heat to the windshield and heat to the floorboard area simultaneously.
Your system is completely different from ours. You are in the wrong section. You need to be in the 2nd Gen Durango Section. You will get more help there then here. My bet would be the module though.

Quick Reply: Defroster not working properly