2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

what goes here

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 12:46 PM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default what goes here

on my frame rail just in front of the rear cab mount. there is an upside downt try with two looks to be vacuum lines going to it. but there is mounting brackets there for something. i have no idea what it is for or what it does.. and i think this is where i might be sucking water up from. So what goes here?

Old 11-29-2008, 12:54 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

if it is (or was) a black cylinder about 6 inches long and 3 or 4 inches in diameter, its part of the evaporative emissions thing. its supposed to catch gas tank evaporation and then burn it up. it does have vacuum on it, so if the hoses or the canister is messed up, i suppose it could suck up water.

here's what its supposed to look like. run over any stumps lately ?
http://www.pavementsucks.com/tech/evapcan.php

on my buddies 85ish 1s gen, his ruptured and the carb filled up with charcoal. it also burned up enough charcoal to stop up the cat.

Last edited by dhvaughan; 11-29-2008 at 12:56 PM.
Old 11-29-2008, 12:59 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

First of all , we need to know what an upside down try with two looks means! :-) Then what side of the try it is on. :-)

Old 11-29-2008, 01:08 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

two "looks to be" vacuum lines. its a southern thing. i understood it.
try is tray. i got that one too.

Old 11-29-2008, 01:56 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Ok, now it makes sense! LOL I was going with "truck" for "try" , so that's probably what threw me off. :-)

Old 11-29-2008, 02:02 PM
rlippy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone know if you can rid that whole system? EGR, EVAP Canister, Purge solenoid... etc?

Old 11-29-2008, 03:06 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

EGR is on/attached to the manifold. its supposed to reburn exhaust gases when the engine is cold, and then close when engine reaches normal temp. i don't think its got anything to do with the evap system. on my old chevy, all this crap stopped working due to age and i took it all off, and sealed a big hole in the manifold with a plate.

i also took all the evap crap off the same old chevy. it all just sort of dry rotted. i found that if i capped off the evap lines, then it tended to build pressure in the gas tank. it didn't seem to hurt anything. if i uncapped the lines, then i had gasoline fumes in the garage from the evaporation of gas. i didn't like that, so i chose the cap off and pressure.

if you do this, choose your poison carefully. do NOT NOT NOT get gas fumes in an enclosed garage or basement where you'll have spark from electrical switch or furnace or pilot light.

Last edited by dhvaughan; 11-29-2008 at 03:09 PM.
Old 11-29-2008, 03:22 PM
rlippy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

makes sense, when i did my engine swap i used an intake manifold without the egr and also the exhaust manifolds, so as of now the EGR valve is pluged and just "floating" behind the keg. however the vac lines are all hooked up... I would really like getting rid of the stuff i dont need and just running the vac lines for what i need... But i cannot find a way to do so!

Old 11-29-2008, 09:39 PM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok well looking at the pics. that is it. but i am missing the eintire thing, the can that box lookin thing and half the try. and this is where i am getting the water from. now the only question is. can i due without it or can i just tape them off or should i look and find a new one? what should i do?

Old 11-30-2008, 10:30 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame

do you park inside a garage or basement ? if so, i'd replace it.

if you park outside - i'd try plugging both lines with a golf tee or bolt. then as a test - see if pressure builds up inside the tank. if it seems excessive or dangerous, then you might need to do something about it.

you may get a variety of opinions here.