2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

ABS Issuse

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 11:05 AM
nwngunner
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS Issuse

Hello, i am new to the forums. How ever i have done some searching around and i havnt found my problem.
I have came here to ask the experts on what could possibly be wrong with my truck.
I have a 2000 dodge 3500 4x4 V10 DRW. Now the issue is this. When I am coast up to a stop light, my abs starts going off. This usually happens when i am below like 5mph. It does it when i am just above idle speeds, like you would be when your @ a big out door lumber yard. My abs keeps kicking in, when i am NOT touching the breaks.
Also when i go to stop they don't want to stop me. They keep engaging and there is no stopping power. It seems like when i have a load on, +5,000 pounds "smallest load i carry /pull" it doesn't do it.

Now, lately i have had the number 3 fuse pulled so i avoid burning up the abs main valve, or what ever its called. My breaks work perfectly. They are there as soon as you TOUCH the peddle. They have tons of grip. In august i replaced the ABS sensor in the rear pumpkin. That just got rid of the abs light on in my dash.

That didnt fix this early/premature activation of my abs. I know the truck has abs on all four wheels, I can feel it in the steering wheel when they go off. Is there a rear ride height sensor in these trucks? The dealer told me no.

I have no idea what is going on with it, how ever i need to find out. The local dodge dealer doesn't know with out tearing in to the truck. I would like to get the abs working so i have them for this winter. Now that the snow is starting to fly here in iowa. sorry for the wall of text, it isnt holding the formatting for some reason.

Last edited by nwngunner; 12-02-2008 at 11:23 AM.
Old 12-02-2008, 05:49 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Have you checked both front hub bearings?

Old 12-02-2008, 06:12 PM
kringl

also new here and to the whole dodge thing but i love my truck but bean working on gmc's for a wile they have a verry similar problem only at verry low speeds the abs kicks in im not positive what the ram's use but must be similar there is a notched ring that the abs sensor picks up when they crack it messes it up and kicks in but only at slow speeds other wise it is spinning too fast to get picked up. hope it helps or someone corrects me on what dodge has i also have an abs problem i havnt checked out yet but i think mine is computer related.

Old 12-02-2008, 10:36 PM
nwngunner

I have not checked the front hubs. All i know is when i put it in 4x4 it works. There is no play in the front wheels. What would the front hubs/ knuckles have to do with the abs?

Last edited by nwngunner; 12-02-2008 at 11:20 PM.
Old 12-03-2008, 04:58 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Because if you have front ABS , it is part of the front hub/bearing assembly.

Old 12-03-2008, 08:27 AM
nwngunner

Originally Posted by zman17
Because if you have front ABS , it is part of the front hub/bearing assembly.
I went up and checked, i have full abs in the front hubs. I called the shop that itook the truck to and he said that the front abs sensors were reading fine. So now what? its the rear abs, or the front sensor. What on earth would be causing the abs to engage @ slow speeds.

Last edited by nwngunner; 12-03-2008 at 03:39 PM.
Old 12-03-2008, 08:42 PM
nwngunner

So today i done some more research on google. Found that almost every make and model of car has this issue.

I talked to a buddy of mine who was a 5star dodge mechanic. He told me to unplug the both front wheel speed sensors. Then to put the fuse back in it and take it for a drive. Yes i will have an abs light on, but i will be able to find out if it is the rear sensor doing it, or if it is the fronts like i suspect. Then i can do one side at a time.

So hopefully after tomorrow i will know something of some substance. Today has been a very long and frustrating day of trying to figure out wth is wrong .

Quick Reply: ABS Issuse