2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Bumpy ass ride.

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 12:17 AM
JackJ
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bumpy *** ride.

So I replace wheels and tire on my truck today, went from a 33 inch tire to a 35 inch tire.

The tires I put on were a bit old and had been sitting for a while, but I changed then so I could have matching size tires all around, I had on smaller tire in the left rear. I had to re-seat the bead on two of the tires due to having to remove the steel and lead weight from the aluminum rims and smooth out the gouges.

On to the problem, I drove to get some food after I was done and now when ever i hit a rough patch in the road the back left bounce like mad untill I slow way down and then it is a smoothe ride again, as long as I am on smooth road it rides fine, but as soon as I hit a bump again it starts vibrateing and bumping real bad.

Just becasue I want to show off, I got some before and after pics.

Name:  before.jpg
Views: 16
Size:  61.7 KB
before
Name:  after.jpg
Views: 17
Size:  68.0 KB
after

Any guesses?

Last edited by JackJ; 12-03-2008 at 12:24 AM.
Old 12-03-2008, 03:06 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Could be an unbalanced, or worse, bent rim.

Were the rims/tires checked and balanced before you put them on?

Old 12-03-2008, 03:55 AM
JackJ
Captain

I plan on getting the tires checked tomorrow, if they can do it. On base here they can only balance up to a certain size and I did not have time for them to check it.

I was told on another forum it could be my shock gone bad and I am begining to think this as it only happens when I hit rough road, but ut is just strange that it were to go bad then and not sooner or having noticed something out of wack before it **** like that.

I guess I am going to have to take the battery out of my truck and put it in the jeep so I can get to work in the morning, Hopefully that will work in my favour.

Old 12-03-2008, 07:01 AM
98DodgeRam1500
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

is this a type of death wobble?

Like your signature, that was a decent movie. Too bad Brandon died.

Last edited by 98DodgeRam1500; 12-03-2008 at 07:07 AM.
Old 12-03-2008, 10:20 AM
Aubrey
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you say they are the same size all the way around or you have one off sized tire on the rear?
What pressures are you running on all the tires?
You said they are a 'bit old' but, are they damaged or cupped?
Could be a shock. The tires are going to be heavier than your old ones so the shock will need to handle more. You might not have noticed it on the lighter smaller tire. I'd start with the 'old' tires though.

Old 12-03-2008, 07:24 PM
JackJ
Captain

Originally Posted by Aubrey
Did you say they are the same size all the way around or you have one off sized tire on the rear? I had 33's all around except for the left rear it was roughly a 31" 32" but skinnier.

What pressures are you running on all the tires? They are all right around 35 psi +/- 2

You said they are a 'bit old' but, are they damaged or cupped? I am not sure how old they are, no dry rot, major cracks or gouges

Could be a shock. The tires are going to be heavier than your old ones so the shock will need to handle more. You might not have noticed it on the lighter smaller tire. I'd start with the 'old' tires though. I have Rancho RS9000 shocks with the 5 speed **** deal, when I push down on the truck on all four cornersof the truck and all the shocks and springs feel normal.
This is all I can think of right now.

Last edited by JackJ; 12-03-2008 at 07:33 PM.

Quick Reply: Bumpy ass ride.