2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

ticking noise

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 03:38 PM
veilside3kgt
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ticking noise

well today I went out to my truck and started it to move it and there was a loud ticking noise, not like it was knocking but a fast tick almost like an exhaust leak but not as noisy. Does anyone know if dodges are known for this. I shut it off and restarted it and it did it again. I've never heard anything like this come from my truck, I usually only drive 2 miles to work with it but I drove it 300 miles the other day and that's the first time I took it anywhere since I have owned it over a year ago. Anyone have any ideas?

Old 12-03-2008, 03:44 PM
nwngunner

Sounds like you might have a lifter knocking. My v10 does that untill it gets warm and the oil fills the lifters.

On my older trucks i have added a tiny bit of trans oil to the engine oil and it has stopped that from happening.

Old 12-03-2008, 03:51 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^ X2. Lifter or an injector. I've had that issue since I rebuilt my 5.2L

Old 12-03-2008, 03:51 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Lifter would be my first guess.

Although I've got a good "tick" story for you.
About 17 years ago, I'm living in north Ga. and had a Dodge Raider 4x4. One day it starts to tick like crazy, don't notice at all at idle, but faster I go and the faster the RPM's the faster & louder it gets. Now at the time I'm in my early 20's, a computer geek and don't know 5% of what I know about vehicles today. So I take it to the local Dodge dealership, they pull it in, have it for about 30 minutes and tell me the whole engine needs to be torn down for a valve job - big $$$ and if I don't do it soon, the whole engine will go bye-bye! So I take it home to contemplate what I'm gonna do. As I'm telling the wife of the problem, I'm standing beside the hood on the passenger side and notice this BIG dried out oak leaf, stuck in the metal grille at the intake under the windshield wipers. I say to her, "No way, it can't be" and pull it out! Sure enough, the ticking sound was gone! The damn dried leaf was fluttering against the metal screening while driving!
Never trusted service dept. at dealerships since that day and vowed to learn how to fix my sh*t myself from then on.
I know this don't really help you, but I'm out of work, and ramble...

Old 12-03-2008, 04:35 PM
Ram2K1
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That story doesn't surprise me at all...

I have a very slight tick, too, which I think may be some lifter noise...or a tiny exhaust leak...

Old 12-03-2008, 05:57 PM
veilside3kgt
Rookie

Awesome post, I kinda actually thought it may be something that my fan was blowing since it does get louder and faster when i hit the gas. Thanks for the info. I was just hoping it was not something major. I'm still learning on these trucks. But I appreciate all your help.

Quick Reply: ticking noise