2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Backup light feed wire

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 10:36 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

well i'll be damn.
i need to get out more.

to answer the original question, the backup light circuit is wired up to the switch on the drivers side of the transmission, near the front, behind all the linkage. i think its called the neutral/reverse switch. i don't know where it goes from there. that's also the park/neutral switch, and the truck will only start when that circuit is closed. so you have 2 different circuits here in the same place. be careful if you mess up the neutral/park circuit your truck won't start.

so i guess he's wiring in a reverse camera to a dvd monitor, otherwise he'd want either the official park/neutral wire, or else just feed it a hot wire to fool it. well i guess i learned something but it sure was hard to figure out what was going on...

Old 12-06-2008, 08:30 PM
Viper37
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'd feed it a hot wire regardless. That way I could use the backup camera while I drive. That would actually be very handy in the traffic I live in.

Old 12-07-2008, 06:49 PM
theviper90210
Professional

Hey guys sorry i havent been on since I posted, Yes i have already bypassed the security stuff for watching while driveing, but the main reason for this reverse wire is so the monitor knows to switch to the reverse camera when put in reverse, which is why i need the backup lamp feed wire. For driving with the camera on you just have to wire the camera 12v wire to a constant 12v source and it will stay on all the time (or add a switch to turn it off) but just wanted to know a easy location of the backup lamp feed wire. Thanks guys!

Old 12-08-2008, 08:56 PM
theviper90210
Professional

To the top

Quick Reply: Backup light feed wire