2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Truck won't start.

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 06:05 PM
bert57
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Truck won't start.

Was having a cold temperature only problem with truck not starting when below 30 or so. Got no fuel pressure or spark when cold. But when temps are warm or if I heated engine with inline coolant heater or use a space heater pointed at engine. Then it was suggested to use a hair dryer pointed at ECM to see if it would start, which it did. So I ordered and replaced ECM. But before I got it to install a new problem came about. Truck would die after driving 10 minutes. This happened twice before it would not start at all except for a rough idle sometimes if I hit the pedal lightly enough fast. I originally thought I fried the ECM more by using a hair dryer to close. But after replacing the ECM I could now tell the engine wanted and would start, even in cold temps. I now have spark but today I noticed I only have a little gas coming out of fuel line at injector rail. Something else happened. The new ECM seems to have corrected the cold temp problem.

I'm hoping to take this one step at a time. I change battery. Now it's new and last longer without recharging so far. Battery's not the problem. I checked again for fuel pressure and I also check IAC which I cleaned real good this summer. I have only sputtering amounts of fuel coming out of hose to fuel rail injector. Not like it was a week or so ago when it would squirt out pretty good. Also after taking out IAC and connected back to juice I tried to see if plunger would move in or out when turning ignition it it does not move. I also tried starting van with my finger plugging up IAC port on TB with fuel line still connected and it didn't start. But I did notice that the loud hissing sound was gone with my finger on IAC port, which I was getting while trying to start van with the recent no start choking problem I've had lately.

I also reverse the 2 relays on the firewall next to battery to see if this would help with fuel pressure. And I looked for fuel filter which I thought used to be on frame passenger side underneath. Now I only see what looks to be a male coupler connecting fuel lines to and from TB and fuel pump where I thought filter used to be. I had fuel pump replaced last year 07. They had to drop tank and all. And I had to bring truck back for new strap when it arrived on order (it was cracked). So I have to assume I got the new fuel pump like told. Can't see how that would have clogged or gone bad so quickly. If so I'm pissed now. I'll have to drop tank just to check.

I'm going to parts store to see if I can get a fuel pressure guage. But any advice will be more than welcome. I got a access to a car for a few days so I'm going at this hard now. I still don't really hear a whinning sound that others have said I should hear from turning key to see if pump is working. But I do see it and hear it spit and gurgle for a second or 2 and if I try turning key again and again fuel will spit out but by 3rd or 4th key turn gas seems to stop coming out almost to the point it's more air than gas. But the pressure doesn't seem to last but for a second or 2 while turning key. I'll have to try this again to see if I'm describing this correctly.

I do believe new ECM has solved the 30 degree and below no start problem I had. I can now hear the engine trying to run and it will actually idle rough for a bit, but I have to play with the pedal to help. But even that won't last long. Got to be not enough fuel I think? If so now to find out why. I'll be back to post after pressure check of gas.

Old 12-04-2008, 08:10 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

good idea to check fuel pressure with a gauge.
if no pressure, check for power getting to fuel pump. start with testing for voltage at the relays in the pdc. also check the ASD stuff. see dodge info at the bottom of this link. http://autorepair.about.com/library/faqs/bl526.htm

if you're not getting fuel, you can spray a little starting fluid in the TB just to determine whether its going to run or not.

once you've got fuel, and its trying to start, pressing the gas pedal some during starting can overcome some tps or iac problems. if you can ever get it running and it won't idle, just replace tps and iac both.

Old 12-04-2008, 08:20 PM
Ram2K1
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The fuel filter is part of the pump assembly, so that's why you didn't find it...a dumb design... Check your fuel pressure for sure. If it's getting the right pressure, you should be spraying fuel pretty good from the line to the rail. Something is wrong there... Make sure it's really quiet outside or wherever and turn the key forward, listening for the pump engaging. It shouldn't be a whining sound...more of a faint hum or buzz when it engages. Based on the facts you stated, I would say with about 99% surety, you are not getting fuel for some reason...and you could have gotten a dud in '07 when it was replaced.

Old 12-05-2008, 12:45 AM
bert57
Rookie

Checked fuel pressure and only got 7 psi when turning key to on and about 11 psi when cranking over.

Old 12-05-2008, 08:19 AM
BULLRAM
Veteran

That is not enough fuel pressure......check that out first, no truck in cold or warm weather will start good like that...

Old 12-05-2008, 09:57 AM
Ram2K1
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Normal operating pressure should be 49.2 psi +/- 5 psi...(from the service manual)

Old 12-05-2008, 05:58 PM
bert57
Rookie

Got the Haynes manual for my van finally. Read up on all the checks and how to's. I'm gonna check for that whinning sound by the tank. I've only listened from inside the drivers seat. So probably the reason for not hearing it. Duh! on my part. I'm also gonna look into cutting the floor metal out to get access to the fuel pump from above. Maybe a foot quare opening if I can get a saw zaw in without any other damage to whats' behind there and plastic fuel tank. If so I may do this myself and go for the pump. Damm things are close to 200 for pump only and 435 for whole assembly. Don't understand why a pump would cost so much. Any other pump is no where near that price for other uses. PeP Boys only wanted 192 for labor only, but only has the whole assembly and would replace just the pump if I get it somewhere else for same 192. So 200 to drop tank ain't so bad at this point. I need a truck. Hate to give it but it's going to be cold all week with possible rain/snow. Just gonna look into a few more electrical checks with manual and then see I can get access above tank through floor. Having access would be beneficial for future. Just need some piece of plywood to use as a cover if it's doable.

Quick Reply: Truck won't start.