2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hard To Start 5.2L

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2008, 10:12 PM
kanner1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard To Start 5.2L

'97 Ram 1500. 5.2 Liter automatic, has always fired right up as soon as you click the key. Now in the last 2 days, the truck turns over quite a few times before firing up, any ideas?

It has still started every time, but I fear that it wont soon. Turns over freely & smooth, runs fine once started.

Thanks in advance for the hits!

Old 12-04-2008, 10:22 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

Happened to me before and I also noticed a cloud of white smoke out the back when started in the morning.. ran like a champ all day. Just... run that gas down and put some new in, that fixed it for me. Give that a shot first, its cheap.

Old 12-04-2008, 10:39 PM
Vader
Champion

Keep me updated, this happens with my 97 as well. In fact, my remote start can't turn it over on cold mornings. It's strange, sometimes it turns immediately and sometimes it cranks and cranks.

Old 12-04-2008, 10:43 PM
kanner1
Default OK

Now that you mention it, it has been a little cold here the last few days...hmmmm. Almost sound like there its not getting gas for a minute then she fires up!

Anyway, I will keep you updated!

Steve

Old 12-05-2008, 01:11 AM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What weight oil are you all running? I never had a problem when I was running Valvoline 10w40, but when I changed to Rotella 15w40 I noticed that my truck is a little harder to start. Its not bad just takes a little longer to turn over. Have any of you had problems with your batteries?
Push comes to shove, I guess you could start using engine block heaters.

Old 12-05-2008, 07:58 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

My first guess when an engine is harder to start suddenly, and there hasn't been to much of a temp drop (or you're using a block heater), is the battery. Kind of like Laramie said, any problems with batteries? When was the last time you guys replaced yours?

Old 12-05-2008, 08:11 AM
BULLRAM
Veteran

You need to check the fuel pressure first thing on a cold morning, you can get one cheap at harbor freight and tools, this is what the mechanics will do to it, so why not try it your self??

the fuel rail has a fitting on the left side (as you sit in the seat)-and it has a cap on it, unscrew it and you will see a fitting that looks like the old r-12 airconditioning fitting, on it, that is because it is a fitting like that, (I made a gauge for a guy with an old a/c hose and then put a guage on the other end, the threads will have to have some type of sealant on them,or just buy the guage
install the guage at night and wait for the morning, all systems in the morning when you first turn the key will pressure up immidiately, then drop a pound or 2 then sit....

if the pressure does not go up to around 40 then stay there ,maybe keeps dropping, or doesnt go up at all, the pump is going bad, replace it in the tank, not a hard job...and believe me its not the fuel filter it is in the tank also...

Old 12-05-2008, 10:29 AM
Ram2K1
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Make sure you are giving it time to prime well enough on cold mornings...probably not the problem, but just a thought. My wife's car has a new tune-up, fuel pump/filter, and distributor...it still doesn't crank as fast as I would like, but that's just the way it is...stupid Mazda junk. If it turns over fast and freely, I think you could rule out the battery and go with either a fuel or ignition issue. Or maybe she's just gettin' a little cold natured...that tends to happen. Sometimes my truck fires up with barely enaging the starter...other times it turns over a few times...my useless .02

Old 12-05-2008, 12:44 PM
kanner1
Default Many Thanks!

I dont think its the battery (even though I have not checked it) because it turns over just fine. I am going to check the fuel pressure and go from there.

Quick Reply: Hard To Start 5.2L