2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

lift or level

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 12:05 AM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default lift or level

Im lookin at flitin my truck or leveling it up at least or a body lift what would would ya'll want to do lift level or body???? Only 2in.

Old 12-06-2008, 12:50 AM
garrettg84
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i would say level. I had a 3" body lift on my old 1500. Used to creak alot, but never had any problems. The noise was just annoying as hell. Suspension looks better and you don't have the nasty gaps =)

There are guys on some of these forums that will go off on some tangent about body lifts making the truck more top heavy. Lets analyze this for a moment. A body lift only lifts the body of a truck. A suspension lift will hit the body, the frame and the engine. Which one is going to make your truck more top heavy? (Hint: The majority of the weight of your truck is in your frame and motor, not cab...) If you lift at all, get rims with more(less?) back spacing, it will push your tires out farther and offset the height difference to make your center of gravity roughly the same either way you look at it!

Old 12-06-2008, 03:26 AM
Rebhays27
Professional
Default Drive Shaft

Originally Posted by garrettg84
i would say level. I had a 3" body lift on my old 1500. Used to creak alot, but never had any problems. The noise was just annoying as hell. Suspension looks better and you don't have the nasty gaps =)

There are guys on some of these forums that will go off on some tangent about body lifts making the truck more top heavy. Lets analyze this for a moment. A body lift only lifts the body of a truck. A suspension lift will hit the body, the frame and the engine. Which one is going to make your truck more top heavy? (Hint: The majority of the weight of your truck is in your frame and motor, not cab...) If you lift at all, get rims with more(less?) back spacing, it will push your tires out farther and offset the height difference to make your center of gravity roughly the same either way you look at it!

Garrett does this require extending the Drive shaft or will the stock work? If not is there any way to get lift without extending the DS?

Old 12-06-2008, 07:59 AM
98DodgeRam1500
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by garrettg84
...If you lift at all, get rims with more(less?) back spacing, it will push your tires out farther and offset the height difference to make your center of gravity roughly the same either way you look at it!

the drawback to that, it shortens the life of your front bearings. but it does give the truck a much more agressive look, and yes, also better stability.

Old 12-06-2008, 09:21 AM
JackJ
Captain

Garrett does this require extending the Drive shaft or will the stock work? If not is there any way to get lift without extending the DS?
If you do a suspension lft.

Usually 4 inches or more will require a transferre case drop kit to keep the angle of the DS more or less correct. Also you will have to adjust you steering with a dropped pitman arm deal. Doing a 2 inch susp. lift will not require this as you are not horribly affecting the angles of anything.

For a body lift.

They just look stupid and gain you nothing except for being able to put bigger tires on it.

Old 12-06-2008, 06:11 PM
Kindschi
Veteran

Originally Posted by JackJ
If you do a suspension lft.

Usually 4 inches or more will require a transferre case drop kit to keep the angle of the DS more or less correct. Also you will have to adjust you steering with a dropped pitman arm deal. Doing a 2 inch susp. lift will not require this as you are not horribly affecting the angles of anything.
I have a 5inch with 3 inch coil spring spacer and I did not need a Transfer case drop kit. My 4x4 and everything works perfect.

For a body lift.

They just look stupid and gain you nothing except for being able to put bigger tires on it.
Indeed they do, who wants to see a ton of frame, just looks like crap.

Old 12-06-2008, 06:17 PM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

one more thing i wanted to stiffen up the front end i was thing thicker coils. will the spacer still work with thicker coils.

Old 12-06-2008, 06:23 PM
pcfixerpro
Champion

There isn't really thicker coils. Only 3/4 ton stock springs, which would give you stiffness and about 2" up front. If your up for the junkyard hunt... have at it! If you mean stiffen up the front as far as like wandering or it feels loose, thats another story.

Old 12-06-2008, 06:57 PM
JackJ
Captain

I have a 5inch with 3 inch coil spring spacer and I did not need a Transfer case drop kit. My 4x4 and everything works perfect.
That may be true but putting that much strain on your shafts is pointless when a drop kit is about 40 bucks.

Old 12-07-2008, 09:49 AM
Kindschi
Veteran

Originally Posted by JackJ
That may be true but putting that much strain on your shafts is pointless when a drop kit is about 40 bucks.
Only 40 bucks. I'll have to checkout the BigFoot 4x4 Store and see what they run there and look into if I really need it or not. Buddy ran with my same lift (took of his Truck) minus the coil spring spacer since 99 and he had no problems for the better part of 8 years.

Quick Reply: lift or level