2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Need help please!

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 12:06 AM
Rammin99
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Need help please!

Ok so here goes. I was in a car accident about two years ago, had surgery on my left shoulder, and since then whenever I put on my seatbelt, it makes my shoulder hurt. I am 6'2" tall and never really liked how low the built in seatbelt was to begin with, but now I can't wear it at all due to the pain I get. I was wondering if any of you have any suggestions on either allowing the seatbelt to move higher up in the seat by cutting the slice higher, or is there anyway I can figure out how to route the seatbelt to the door frame like the pre 1998 Rams were, and just not use the quad door on my side. Any help from you guys is greatly appreciated. P.S. I already asked the doc if he would write me a note saying I don't have to wear my seatbelt, but for liability reasons he says he can't, and it is a law in my state to always wear one. Thanks

Old 12-07-2008, 12:41 AM
Ram2K1
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could just put the shoulder part under your arm or get one of those seatbelt pads... That's about all I can think of...good luck.

Old 12-07-2008, 12:50 AM
tresvn
Veteran

Ford has the seatbelt part you need I found a pic of one on a 1999 F-250 super duty, I know it's a Ford but It sounds like it is exactly what your looking for.

Attached Thumbnails Need help please!-interior02.jpg  
Old 12-07-2008, 02:34 AM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just don't wear it. I know its unsafe but I am a firm beleiver that seat belts don't help Had a buddy of mine almost strangle to death because of a seat belt.

Old 12-07-2008, 02:22 PM
Ram2K1
Record Breaker

Anymore though, you are looking at a crazy fine if you get caught without it...here in TN they have been cracking down hard and charging like $100+ for not wearing one...

Old 12-07-2008, 02:23 PM
Rammin99
Amateur

Thanks for the help guys. tresvn thanks also for the picture, I will definitely look into that. I forgot to mention that I do have a shoulder belt pad on it, and it still bothers me. I was just trying to convince myself not to get another pickup just because of this. Thanks again.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:09 AM
Ram2K1
Record Breaker

You could also look into doing a shoulder strap delete and just having a belly strap...

Old 12-08-2008, 07:32 PM
Rammin99
Amateur

Would doing that be legal if I got pulled over? The reason I ask is because on the Washington State website for this sounds pretty strick on the seat belt stuff saying that even putting it under an arm is illegal. I just wonder if they would say that the vehicle came with a shoulder strap, and therefore just having a belly strap is illegal too.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:27 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Laramie1997
Just don't wear it. I know its unsafe but I am a firm beleiver that seat belts don't help Had a buddy of mine almost strangle to death because of a seat belt.
According to the statistics, your belief is mistaken. I'll have to track down the numbers again, but if you use Google, you can find the studies too. Seat belts do save lives, its a proven statistic. On a bus its more debatable whether it saves or not, but in a normal motor vehicle, the odds are that it will save your life.

The easiest example is imagine you hitting someone and flying into the windshield, or through it. My wife is a RN, and she sees so many injuries resulting from non-seatbelt use. The most recent was a young couple who had just gotten married the week before, and were driving around shopping. They got into an accident. He was driving, wore his seatbelt, and walked away with minor bruises. She was ejected, snapped her spine just below the neck, and is now paralyzed from the neck down for the rest of her life. They were going to go on their honeymoon in a few days.

Sometimes they do impede your chances of survival, but seatbelts are far more likely to save your life than kill you.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:33 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by jason.w
The easiest example is imagine you hitting someone and flying into the windshield, or through it.
If you have ever read a Chevrolet owner's manual, it has a very good illustration of this.