2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

I'm not a tow truck.. but I can pull you out!

Old 12-07-2008, 11:41 AM
pcfixerpro
Champion
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

+1 That video made my day lol

Old 12-07-2008, 12:00 PM
MonteC
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was dicking around with my monte carlo in the rain back when i was a teen. I slid into a deep ditch and my car was teetering only one wheel on the ground. A guy came outside from next door and pulled me out with his 3500 chevy cargo van, LOL. He didnt get pissed off at me, just said that he was a kid once too.

Old 12-07-2008, 12:04 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Lmao!

Old 12-07-2008, 03:20 PM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

heres a tip that i saw when i was watching wrecked on speed channel on a unibody car the rim are the strongest point.

Old 12-07-2008, 03:33 PM
shepp74

When I was a Youngster My buddies and I where 4x4 ing and got stuck . My Buddies Drunk *** Went to pull me out and Hooked it too his gas tank . Ripped his gas tank off his Bronco . 2:30 in the morning . Funniest thing I had ever seen . He didn't think SO !!!

Old 12-07-2008, 07:07 PM
Kindschi
Veteran

Originally Posted by dodge15004x45.9
heres a tip that i saw when i was watching wrecked on speed channel on a unibody car the rim are the strongest point.
I own and operate a tow truck... And I would never hook a car by the rim, unless it was wrecked and I could not get to the frame and even then the car would have to be a total loss car.
Every car has holes in the frame put there specifically for towing and transport. There are three different "hooks" I use to attach my truck to the other car. 'J' Hook (looks like the letter J) is most used to hookup trucks and suvs by the front or rear axel. The 2nd is the 'T Hook" Looks like the letter T, you insert into precut holes in the frame and turn 180* which prevents it from falling outta the hole you just put it in to. And the 3rd "Frame Tab" or as I call it a "European hook", its long and slides into the frame much like a T hook but its much longer and with pressure is very hard to fall out. Most of European cars I tow (BMW, Benz, Rolls Royce.. yea I got to tow one once) use them. While most domestic cars have precut holes in the frame that are more suited to the T hooks not so many European cars do.

Luckily I have never had any damage to cars when I pull em outta ditch's. I normally use a real tow chain off my tow truck. I also have a heavy duty tow chain with the same hooks but a section of it is a strap that's designed for cars that sit real low so you dont damage the bumper when the chain pulls them up the bed... they would work fine for getting them outta ditches to.

I would suggest anyone who plans on heading out in the snow to make alittle cash pulling people outta ditch's to stop by the local tow shop and ask about getting a proper tow chain. That way you dont damage your own car... or the car your pulling out. The chains are not the cheapest but they gotta be cheaper then a lawsuit, afterall if you damage someone property your liable for the damage.

Last edited by Kindschi; 12-07-2008 at 07:24 PM.
Old 12-07-2008, 07:46 PM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Yea the car was trashed thats why i said by the rims

Old 12-07-2008, 07:56 PM
TIMIDONE
All Star

I've pulled out plenty of cars...so far so good and so did my dad when I was growing up. He always told me that make sure you state you are not responsible for any damage and have THEM hook up the chain or tow rope to their car.

Therefore if you do tear something up on their side...well they become liable because they hooked it. Obliviously if they hook it up some place that you know you will just pull over, fiberglass bumper?!? , they suggest a better place.

Old 12-07-2008, 07:58 PM
Kindschi
Veteran

Originally Posted by dodge15004x45.9
Yea the car was trashed thats why i said by the rims
Yea, I thought you meant to pull them outta the ditch the rim was a good spot. I would hate for someone here to really damage up a car by hooking a chain to there rim.

Wrecked is ok.

Old 12-07-2008, 07:58 PM
Jpnorris87
Professional

Hey, just a lil piece of advice from from someone thats done a winter in Fairbanks, AK. I carry straps with me in my truck at all times. Another some I started carrying. Got a worn out reciever hitch, torched out the hole a lil bit and put a clevis thru it. Best recovery hitch I have ever had. You would be surprised how many vehicles have the reciever mount but no hitch! Another thing to keep outta trouble is making people hook up to their own vehicle. I will be down there and suggest where to hook it but its their decision. Also, I never accept any money. If you take money and then they decide to sue they have a case if you accepted the money. CYA- cover your a**. Lastly, whatever you use to pull people out, straps, chains, tow ropes, cable, any thing, just make sure you dont mix them!!! That usually ends up with a helluva dent in the tailgate or a busted back glass.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I'm not a tow truck.. but I can pull you out!