2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Guinea Pig: Extensive TreadWright(Retread) Tire Test Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2011, 09:59 PM
Ugly1
Record Breaker
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Thank you. That would definitely be a deal breaker for me if these were still on my short list. A bit of an obscure placement of that seemingly very important note if you asked me.

Old 02-07-2011, 10:09 PM
kd5taa
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know this thread has been up for a while but I just wanted to throw another re-tread fact up there. It seems like my whole family is full of truckers and no complaints on re-treads. I work for the coast guard as a maintainer on C-130 Hercules aircraft. Its a cargo plane and we have 6 landing gear tires total. This may have been said already (I haven't read all 26 pages) but I'd say 80% of the tires we use on our planes are retreads. When one wears out we send it back to goodyear and they send it back with a new cap. If its safe enough for aviation...

Old 02-08-2011, 10:59 AM
joekool4
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have read all 26 pages and it was stated before as well as the fact that the millitary uses retreads on trucks and other vehicles. I'm pretty sure alot of comercial airlines and privately owned planes run them too. I think that the reason most people are hesitant is because retreads in the past were not as reliable. But Ive seen on tv, how its made and dirty jobs etc. , that there are new ways of producing these tires. i dont think that they even use glue anymore im pretty sure i saw that they melt down part of the existing tire and fuse the new tread to it, not just using adhesive. I'm definately considering these as my next tire, it all depends on what kind of deal i can get on new tires, my last set of nexens were 75 bucks each plus mount and balance etc. It helps if CPA firm your mom works for does your famiy mechanic's taxes.

Old 02-09-2011, 01:32 AM
pavement_hater
Veteran

I'm on my 4th or 5th set ( can't remember anymore) in the last 8 years on multiple vehicles. I have only had either Good Year or Michelin casings with each set.

My last set ( 2nd set on my Ram) was installed back in June last year. As in my earlier posts about the other sets I have owned, I have had no issues with these tires.

Old 02-10-2011, 01:02 AM
bekins01ram
Veteran

That's one of the reasons I bought these tires. They aren't recapped, like alot of the semi tires are. They are retreads.

it says on the website how they do it. I'll paste it here for u that didn't research deep enough. :P Below is copied from their website.

We have a 7 step process to ensure each tire meets our high standard of quality and safety:
  1. [*]

Old 06-06-2011, 09:37 AM
trust

FWIW I have run both the GY MTR tread and now the BFG AT tread on my 01 2500 QC. The MTRs did make some noise and after about 15k miles they were about half worn when I noticed some very fine radial cracking, fired off an email with a few pics and had an email within half an hour and a phone call about an hour thereafter asking if I wanted to keep the MTR tread or go with the AT tread as they could ship the ATs that day whereas the MTRs would be a week or so. No charge and I was not trying to warranty them, just asked about the cracks and whether they were an issue or not.

The ATs have about 20K miles and are showing very little wear, over memorial day day weekend I drove from Santa Fe to Atlanta, picked up a car and drove back to Santa Fe, I did have a blow out coming home on the Tx NM border but that was NOT a result of the retreading, it was clearly a belt separation in the carcass (BFG) likely as a result of the zillion pot holes on I 40 and I 20. I fired off a picture of the tire to Treadwright and asked if I should worry about the other three. I had a response the next day confirming my thoughts on the cause of the blowout and offering to replace the tire despite the fact that this failure is expressly NOT covered in their warranty.

Happy with the tires, delighted with the company, if I could get 35x12.5x15s for my jeep I would in a heartbeat, as is, I am looking for some 16 or 17" rims for it so I can use the Treadwrights

Quick Reply: Guinea Pig: Extensive TreadWright(Retread) Tire Test Thread