2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Going back a few years - Jet Programmer for 97 RAM

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2008, 02:05 PM
PartsChaser
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Going back a few years - Jet Programmer for 97 RAM

Hey Guys,

So I searched around a bit.. found a few threads from years ago concerning the JET and Hypertech chips/programmers for my 97 RAM (5.9, 4X4, Auto). Its been a while, wanted to see if anyone still has an older 2nd GEN, and how they have held up with the chips?

I am leaning on getting one, probably the JET Stage 2 (90002-S) as I already have the magnaflow cat, exhaust, 180 Stat, etc. I dont expect miracles with this old dog, but wanted to at least get something out of her.

Thanks!

Old 12-10-2008, 02:58 PM
talon6
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i have one i bought used off of a guy on here, a couple months ago to try out. performance wise it is similar to the hypertech max energy that i had. i only used it for about 50 miles just to test it out. you will feel gains though. but i cannt comment on its longevity. cause i hardly used it. the gains off the superchip 3815 are better,which is what i am using now. if you are interested in it, let me know. pm me.i will sell it for really cheap. 50$ + 5$ for shipping. thats less than i paid for it.

Old 12-10-2008, 03:34 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

YAY!! Somebody did a search!

Not that many people like the Jet Stage 2 Chip on here. He didnt feel that much of a diff. Also, since these piggy-back off of the heavy wiring harness, they can fall off of the computer, causing your motor to shut off and you to $hit your pants.

You can read more about it here:http://www.rm-indy.com/Jet_Sucks.htm

Old 12-12-2008, 02:39 PM
PartsChaser
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies. Seems like pre-98 RAM's have less options for programmers, but I'll give it a shot, see if it will inject new life into the old gal. If not, not a huge loss.

PS - I'll make sure to attach it securely so I dont get the "**** my pants" reaction while going down the road..hah.

Old 12-12-2008, 03:11 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Zip-tieing the harness up to take the weight off of the module may help.

Old 12-12-2008, 03:46 PM
Ram2K1
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I haven't heard anything positive about the piggy-back Jet chips...but you can give it shot. Just FYI, not sure if this is the same for Dodges or not, but a buddy of mine with a F-250 PSD went to get a tuner and the truck already had a piggy-back on it. The tech at the shop said that a lot of factory pcm's come with a heavy grease on the part where the piggy-back hooks on. He said if you use one of those, make sure you clean that grease junk completely off of the pcm before installing the chip, b/c he has seen it cause a malfunction and screw the pcm.

Quick Reply: Going back a few years - Jet Programmer for 97 RAM