2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

300-350 hp

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2008, 05:19 PM
Viper37
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 360dodgeram360
you can look up the dyno runs for our trucks on k&n website
You can also find studies funded by tobacco companies that say smoking is not addicting nor harmful to your health.

Old 12-13-2008, 08:04 PM
Ram2K1
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I looked up my truck....numbers are 11.83 HP @ 4248 RPM. Not bad for a top-end boost, but they are so expensive...I have a cheapo kit with a AEM Dryflow filter...cost me a fraction of the price of a name brand kit. I didn't notice any low-end loss, but not to say it didn't/can't lose some... I like it better because it seems to accelerate better on the highway...plus it sounds cool. I knew going in it wasn't going to be a "major power adder," which is why I opted for a cheap set-up.

Last edited by Ram2K1; 12-13-2008 at 08:10 PM.
Old 12-13-2008, 09:28 PM
CaptCameltoe
Professional

The mis-information on these Dodge truck forums is down right sad.

Last edited by CaptCameltoe; 12-13-2008 at 09:31 PM.
Old 12-13-2008, 10:01 PM
Viper37
Banned

Originally Posted by CaptCameltoe
Enlighten us then oh wise one.

Old 12-13-2008, 10:15 PM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker

i would say this is a pretty good forum. yes there is misinfo because we all know that each truck and its motor are differant. but to comment on the redline factor. i try to stay off of it but every now and then even with the auto, i will hit rev limiter. so the top end is a good place for it. but i personaly like to have low end torque and pulling power in the mud because it is better for the way i drive. i think a better way to get some power is the top end, get a good set of heads, ported polished, and some nice valves, with good compersion. and then the exhaust, of coarse but thats a givin. let ll not forget these trucks are a bit slower then everyone elses but that also has to do with them being heavier then i think just about every other company

Old 12-14-2008, 12:11 AM
Ram2K1
Record Breaker

Yeah, I think everyone can concede the fact that a CAI, which really amounts to a HAI on these keggers, isn't any huge power boost. But they are a better set-up than the factory air tube. I don't know about everyone else, but I just put one on to get more air into the engine in an easier manner.

Old 12-14-2008, 12:18 AM
Ram2K1
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by CaptCameltoe
I have learned a lot of valuable information from the guys on this forum, although some think they know more than they do. For the most part, mis-information is quickly called out and corrected. That's mostly due to the fact that there are some very technically-inclined people on here. I possibly would have made some bad mistakes over the past year if not for this forum. Anytime you feel that something is bad information, feel free to elaborate and I'm sure it will be addressed and/or corrected.

Old 12-14-2008, 12:20 AM
meanwhitemopar
Record Breaker

i have the cold air on because i was picking up wter from the stock set up. i go through the deep stuff people want to try but are scared. and the dodge crawls through most of it. even with half bald tires. but yea, i think a sct set up and some gears would be a better bet to try to get it faster. if thats what you are after. and of coarse all the usual stuff like the fastman, 180t and that kind of stuff to help it run better

Old 12-14-2008, 01:25 PM
360dodgeram360
Professional

i don't feel like our trucks are the slowest of the bunch at all. sure some combinations are slower like the 318 with the 4x4 and extended cab but if you take the same year dodge up against the same year chevy or Ford i think our trucks are usually faster. And the biggest engine chevy offered from 98-06 was the 5.3 (unless ss)

Old 12-14-2008, 02:24 PM
CaptCameltoe
Professional

Originally Posted by Viper37
Enlighten us then oh wise one.
Well your post for starters then. You say you lose low end tq with these engines with a CAI. PLEASE back this up with facts oh wiser one.

Another guys says a set of heads, cam and tune will easily make 300 rwhp, I find that to be hopeful at best and would venture to say it would come up 50 hp short of that goal.

The 4.8 and 5.3 chevy truck guys are running in the 11's with these motors and gettin into the 13's on the motor is no big deal. Don't believe me, check this place out http://performancetrucks.net/forums/index.php

Our 5.2/5.9's were top dog in that 92-96 era, when chevy brought out the Vortec motors we got bumped to 2nd IMO. The ford 4.6/5.4 motors are dogs except for the blown 5.4's. The new 4.8/5.3/6.0 motors from Gm are bullet proof and can really make some serious power after the mods start bein thrown at them. I'm not knockin our Magnum motors at all and except for the Hemi, Dodge royally screwed up droppin the 5.2/5.9 motors IMO. That 4.7 is a disaster and will never have the reliability the 5.2/5.9's did.

You would have to spend some serious money to get 300 rwhp from a 5.9 magnum in our trucks, hell most of the strokers I have seen on these forums WHEN they run right don't get near that mark or much above it.

I love my Ram and wouldn't think of gettin rid of it, but I realize it's limitations. I think a realistic goal for a street driven naturally aspirated 5.9 is 250 rwhp and nothing to be ashamed of at all. Don't forget dyno's can be tweaked to show great or lackluster performace. A lot of tuner shops will tweak the dyno to show lower numbers in hopes of bein able to make some money off the customer and then magically show the increased power on the dyno after they tweak it to show higher numbers. I also have zero faith in any of those g-tech devices. I ran a guy in a ford truck who swore he was in the 12's with his 97 4.6 f150 based on his g tech. I spanked him like a red headed step child in my at best mid 15 second 5.2 Ram. I am also far from a expert, but have spent enough time around cars to know BS when I see it.

Last edited by CaptCameltoe; 12-14-2008 at 02:28 PM.

Quick Reply: 300-350 hp