2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Sagging front bumper fix

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 10:32 PM
olyelr
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have the plastic sport bumper like you stated it should be a fairly simple fix, as long as it just shifted the bumper bracket as apposed to bending it.

I hit a deer once and my bumper looked just like you have described yours. All I did was loosened the four bolts on the frame end of the bumper bracket, spin the bumper back into place, and tightened the bolts back up. If you loosen the bolts ever so slightly, you should be able to adjust the bumper without it flopping around much (making it a one man operation). It was that simple for me anyway. Good luck.

Old 12-15-2008, 02:42 AM
Jpnorris87
Professional

Yeah, I dont see what the big hassle is. I had mine on and off about 20 times to get measurements. Just loosen the bolts and move the damn thing. Yes it might take you 20 or 30 min but thats still better than paying some guy $50 to loosen 4 bolts.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:37 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^^ +1. i thought it was easy. hardest part is breaking loose the bolts the first time. use an impact or pipe on ratchet handle. then just move it around and tighten it back up.

Old 04-30-2020, 06:46 AM
Kohler Spraguer
Default Loosen the bolts then use a jack

What I would do is open the hood, check below the radiator for the 4 bumper bolts mounted via the frame. You'll need to break those loose, move the bumper up and down, back and forth; using a jack to adjust if you can't do it by hand. I've had to do these to several of my dodges and they're even worse with off road use. It takes some serious beating to bend that frame mount for the bumper so you should be good. I just adjusted my bumper yesterday in 15 mins saved money and didn't take it anywhere to get it worked on. Be patient and do one side at a time with the bolts loose. Once you have the adjustment you want, tighten down and torque. You're good to go.

Originally Posted by CSXfan
Hi all,
I have a '99 ram 1500 with the sport package. I noticed a few weeks ago that my front bumper was sagging a little bit but it wasn't too noticeable so I let it go. Now after an interesting off road incident (I framed the truck in a swamp and when I was pulled out the bottom of the bumper was dragged over the ground) the ends of the bumper are hanging 2-3" from the fenders and it looks horrible. I haven't actaully crawled under the truck to see what I'm up against, but is there some kind of adjustment for this? Do I need to get new brackets or something to bring the bumper back up to where it should be? Any help is appreceated. Thanks.

Old 04-30-2020, 07:14 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,279 Likes on 3,026 Posts

12 year old thread??

Quick Reply: Sagging front bumper fix