2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

New project - mods - Lots of questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2008, 07:49 PM
boaboa
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow New project - mods - Lots of questions

I'll be updating this over the next month or so as I get to work. Right now I have a few basic questions. I've already read of lot of other threads that somewhat address my q's so I'll try to minimize redundancy.

Leveling/lift:
I have a 1998 sport, quad cab with 8 ft. bed. The front end shocks/springs are stock, the rear leafs are stock with 4" blocks (similar to those on a 2500) which puts my back end up a bit higher. I'm looking to purchase 33" tires, and want to bring the front end up to where the rear is.

I've got two potential setups I'm thinking of running.

Option 1 is going with just the 2.5" steel spacers from hellbentsteel - I think this will give me clearance for the 33s in the front. However, because of the pivot point, just adding these may drop my rear a bit.

Option 2 is going with 2" or 2.5" spacers in the front, as well as an all around 2" skyjacker lift from TopGunCustomz, which includes +2" front coil springs and rear AALs. This would give 2" in the back and 4" or 4.5" in the front, which should give me a leveled, slightly higher stance. My concern though is adding the AALs to a rear which already has 4" blocks. I've read a lot about how these blocks, espeically bigger ones, are unsafe/unstable; however I use the truck mainly for highway commuting and light duty work, not offroading or mudding, so maybe it won't be an issue? I'd appreciate any thoughts on that.
Also, if I go with this setup (4" or 4.5" to the front), will I need longer control arms (I've heard they are optional) or any other parts associated with the front steering? I'm already be getting a new steering stabilizer and longer shocks - just need to know if I'll also need control arms or anything else.

One last thing, has anyone used a Hypertech Max Energy Econ programmer with 2nd Gen dodges. I'm looking at purchasing one and want to know how/if they work.

Overall, I'm looking at doing the following mods to my stock truck this/next month. I'll update with pictures as I make progress:

Lift/leveling/tires/shocks (discussed above)
Plenum reinforcement fix
180 Tstat
8mm wires, performance cap/rotor
K&N CAI
Edelbrock ceramic long tube headers - true dual exhaust through magnaflow cats and Flowmaster super 40 deltas
Hypertech performance programmer (open to suggestions)

My goal is to transform my stock Ram into a nice looking DD/work truck with respectable horsepower, good sound and stance, and good highway mileage. Sticking with 3.55s on the 33" tires for that reason (would love 4.10s or higher but that'll put me way overbudget for now). Will Update.

Old 12-15-2008, 07:59 PM
dodgeman22
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sounds good man

Old 12-15-2008, 09:00 PM
boaboa

Correction: Yes I've read Talon's review of programmers. I'm looking for the programmer only to get more MPGs out of my truck. I'm not looking for performance or HP out of it. Does the Max Energy Econ work well for that, or should I be looking at a different programmer?

Old 12-15-2008, 09:04 PM
SmokeGrinder
Professional

33"s and 3.55s....your going to want to kill youself....what tires do you have now?

Your gas mileage is going to go down by the way, not keep good gas mileage....i know how your thinking, but its incorrect thinking.

Old 12-15-2008, 09:15 PM
boaboa

I've read that 3.55s will work fine with 33s if the driving is mostly highway, which it is. I have 265/75/16 on now (so approx a 31.5"). Also I'm going with 255/85s, for the narrower tread = better mileage, less road resistance.

Last edited by boaboa; 12-15-2008 at 09:46 PM.
Old 12-15-2008, 11:59 PM
dodge15004x45.9
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

yea another person from pa

Old 12-17-2008, 04:54 PM
boaboa

Still looking for opinions regarding putting an AAL lift on top of 4" blocks in the rear? Dangerous?

Old 12-17-2008, 08:53 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

im from warrendale pa if that counts lol

Quick Reply: New project - mods - Lots of questions