2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

150k on stock cat and 02 sensors

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 09:48 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by olyelr
Really? Thats weird. I have seen several Dodge converters completely clog up and hardly let the motor run or the truck drive... some even before 100k miles.

Well, I guess you did say it SHOULD outlast the truck, but in reality I think most don't.
If the emission system is in proper working order (O2 sensors, etc) the cat should never have to be changed. That does not preclude the fact that defective cats will clog.

Old 12-18-2008, 11:50 AM
olyelr
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VWandDodge
If the emission system is in proper working order (O2 sensors, etc) the cat should never have to be changed. That does not preclude the fact that defective cats will clog.

Exactly, that's kinda what I am worried about, caused I figure if the plenum has been leaking for a bit it may be contaminating the the cat/sensors (as stated by someone else a few posts up). But no codes as of yet.

Thanks for your responses guys!

Old 12-18-2008, 11:57 AM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by froesen
My cat was still clean when it was...inspected at about 160k, completely clean actually....maybe has something to do with keeping it at a high temp often? I was a punk too once too...

But with the o2 sensors, they do get slow with time. Some vehicles have a "slow response" code or something similar to monitor their condition, i've never seen it on these trucks, it may or may not monitor that. If you have access to a scan tool, you can check to make sure it's getting to below .2 and above .8 volts, and switching several times a second...can't remember offhand how many times is considered good. but changing it after that much mileage is a good idea anyways. Especially with oil contamination from your leaky plenum.

So, aside from waiting for a code/check engine light to flash, there is a way to actually test the o2 sensors? I will have to search on this more. That's what I would like to do before I replace replace them for nothing. Although, it also sounds like it is just good maintenance to replace them with age? Hmmmm, maybe I will just replace the dang things.

Thanks for your knowledge froesen!

Old 12-18-2008, 12:13 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

If it were me, i'd fix the plenum first, then see how the truck runs. If good, then i'd leave the sensors and cat alone. If still sluggish, or the o2 readings seem wrong, then maybe start with the sensors, you'll know if your cat is bad. Also, if you decide to replace the cat instead, it is common to have to replace the o2 sensor when you do the cat. This is because it can often be very difficult to get the stock one out without destroying its reusability, escpecially after it has been in for 150k miles.

I'm on my 3rd cat. First one was the stock cat and it was in perfect working condition, but I had it replaced with a Magnaflow highflow cat when Chrysler announced the cat recall a few years ago. I paid nothing. I then had that Magnaflow replaced with another Magnaflow after the first one broke apart in less then a year (after a bumpy offroad trail ride). I paid nothing for that one either since the original one had a 2 yr warranty.

Old 12-18-2008, 12:21 PM
Rex-TheDOGG
Captain

Silver, do you recommend going with the wide band or staying with OEM type?

Old 12-18-2008, 12:45 PM
BlueBeast2
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Rex hemifever suggested I install a wide band. Your mods ain't much different then mine so I would think you should do one too. Beings I'm going with the SCT I can hook the wide band into the SCT and datalog and have him change stuff if need be. Not sure how that would work with the B&G Flash

Old 12-18-2008, 12:55 PM
Silver_Dodge
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ya, if your going with SCT or want to get the more accurate a/f meters, then go wide band. Otherwise, a narrow band (stock) would work fine.

Old 12-18-2008, 02:15 PM
Rex-TheDOGG
Captain

Originally Posted by BlueBeast2
Rex hemifever suggested I install a wide band. Your mods ain't much different then mine so I would think you should do one too. Beings I'm going with the SCT I can hook the wide band into the SCT and datalog and have him change stuff if need be. Not sure how that would work with the B&G Flash
I think an SCT may be in my future. As it stands now, I have to send my PCM to B&G to get it reflashed. It can get expensive with overnight or 2nd day shipping charges, not to mention my truck is down for 2-3 days waiting for it. I really like the datalogging with the wide-band O2 idea for tweaks as well.

Old 12-18-2008, 09:18 PM
olyelr
Record Breaker

Alright guys, I think I will just replace the plenum and go from there. Thanks for all your help!

But, one more question. What the hell is this wide band and narrow band stuff you guys are talking about? And SCT?

Old 12-18-2008, 09:48 PM
BlueBeast2
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Wide band and narrow band are types of o2 sensors. A wide band tells you if your rich or lean and the actual air fuel ratio number. A narrow band is basicaly a stock sensor it just tells you if your rich or lean. When tuning a wide band is better because it tells you more info.

A SCT is a tuner

Quick Reply: 150k on stock cat and 02 sensors