2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

brakes failed

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2008, 03:24 PM
mightyhealthy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brakes failed

After I did some very harsh / extreme braking today to avoid an accident my abs light stayed on along with my brake light. My peddle goes to the floor and my brakes are barely working. When I turned the truck on and off the abs light went off, but after applying brake the ABS light returns. I took the battery off and it still is not working. Any help! thanks!

Old 12-18-2008, 03:27 PM
Ram2K1
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check your master cylinder to see if it is full of brake fluid...if not, you may have blown a line somewhere. Check your lines all the way around and look for a leak. The only thing that would cause your brake pedal to go to the floor is a loss of pressure in the lines or breakage of brake components...which you should hear.

Old 12-18-2008, 04:57 PM
1999BIGBLUE
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default brakes failed

Tim,

Thank you very much for the help on this on. You are so very correct. I had blown front brake line. I had to stop so hard when a lady in a surburb on the damn phone ran thru the light we almost met in the middle of the street a clasisic t-bone. Just after my foot and brake pad hitting the floor I the lost almost all breaking power.
Made it home. My fluid was somewhat low due to brake change time. Did not think any damage was done at the wheels.
Yes, I have brake fluid all over the wheel well and can see the hole where it had blown...New pads and new lines both sides for me.

1999 Dodge 4X4 quad cab V10 152,000
Take Care
Merry Christmas
Eric

Old 12-18-2008, 05:22 PM
Ram2K1
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to help and glad you're okay...I have been there myself. A few months ago I almost got t-boned by a lady in a minivan running a red light...she stopped about 2 feet from my driver side door. I should check my brake lines, too...something most of us never think about until they fail.

Quick Reply: brakes failed