2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Electric Fans? What do I gotta do exactly?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2008, 04:38 PM
Silver1500
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric Fans? What do I gotta do exactly?

I am going to buy a dual electric fan setup for my truck. I know that summit has one that is taylor made for our trucks, but I refuse to spend nearly $600.00 on fans. They have a dual fan on summit for about $215.00 and the thermal switch is gonna be another $20 ontop of that. I was just wondering though, will electric fans affect my a/c?
I noticed on summit that there is a special relay, something about a/c.
I am pretty good at wiring and whatnot, but I was hoping that someone else would know what is exactly involved with wiring up these fans. I know I can do it, I just wanna know what im getting myself into first.
Thanks for any help!!

Old 11-29-2008, 05:11 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The fans that are designed for the truck are good fans and the shrouds and mounting points ensure you don't mangle the radiator.

the A/C will blow colder, especially if you do a dual fan setup and make 1 fan a pusher on the A/C condenser.

There is a controller Flex-a-lite makes that will turn the fans on when you tap into the A/C compressor wire, but they also turn on in the winter with the heat as well. It's great for summer, bad for winter, so I disconnect it at the controller during the cold months. I'm sure summit probably makes a controller that has a similar feature.

Old 11-29-2008, 09:01 PM
Silver1500
Professional

Thanks for the info. That helps me out.. Like i said, Ive never done anything with the electric fans so I am unsure what exactly is involved with the wiring....
the controllers I found so far on summit were all just heat bungs that will turn the fans on and off depending on coolant temp.
I have a 160* t-stat in the truck, but the only switch that i can find thats close turns the fans ON at 170* and turns them off at 162*. So Im kinda not sure what to do with that either. I dont believe it will hurt anything?

Old 11-30-2008, 06:41 AM
talon6
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

http://moesperformance.com/index.php...products_id=15

250 bucks,super fast shipping.had it in like 2 days.

heres the one i installed. pretty good directions.i donnt turn mine off or anything.i set the fan to turn on at when the thermostat opens.(180*stat) took a couple times getting it set where i liked it, and havent touched it for close to a year.

Last edited by talon6; 11-30-2008 at 06:45 AM.
Old 11-30-2008, 09:12 AM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The flex-a-lite controller I was referring to is P/N 31165.

Old 11-30-2008, 09:19 AM
Silver1500
Professional

Yea thats what I want to do; I dont want to mess around with manual switches and whatnot. Just seems more of a pain, it sounds like you have it set up good, works seamlessly and is pretty much invisible. The fan on the link you posted seems like a good one, I was thinking dual fans, but one would work plus I am pretty sure with dual fans I would have needed another relay? Also, on Moe's website, the price comes up $306.95, but when you add it to the cart, like you said, its $249.99. Which is $50.00 cheaper than Summit. I think Im gonna go ahead and order it.
OH and I had a typo in my last post, I have a 180* t stat. Idk why I was thinkin it was 160...
At any rate, thanks for the input. I will let everyone know how it turns out...

Old 11-30-2008, 09:32 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I've got the Flex-a-Lite 180 Extreme and love it. Installation is a breeze (once you get the PIA stock fan off). I also have a 180* T-Stat and set the fan to come on just below that temp (about 175*). Living between Fla. & South Ga. all year it's been great. I actually decided to buy it when I was stuck on I95 behind an accident in July of '06. About 96 degrees outside and traffic was crawling. I witnessed many overheating vehicles and watched my temp needle continuously creep up into the red as your stock fan turns in relation to your rpms. Not so with an E-fan, it's ALWAYS pushing 3300 cfm, which is also great when I'm off-road and crawling...

Old 11-30-2008, 10:18 AM
Silver1500
Professional

Hammer, im really like the idea mainly because of what you said, stock fan turns in relation to the RPM's and the e-fan will always be pulling more air. I live in PA and it rarely gets that hot around here, i have never had any problems with overheating, and I live in a pretty rural area, so I never sit in traffic. So i guess my main reason for getting the e-fan is to free up a couple extra ponies and see what kind of difference it makes for the gas mileage (not that Im too concerned with that anyhow). I am anxious to get it on there and see what happens.

Old 11-30-2008, 12:32 PM
talon6
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hammer is the one that suggested it to me. and i donnt reget it.

Old 12-14-2008, 04:28 PM
Silver1500
Professional

Got the fan put on, after some initial confusion about where to put the temp sensor that kicks the fan on, it works great and the truck never gets one degree above where its supposed to. I have been tinkering with the truck quite a bit (cant drive it at the moment because of some minor complications with the long arm of the law) but when I can drive it, it should feel like a new truck. In the last 3 months I've put headers, MSD 6AL, electric fan, new plugs/wires, and im about to replace the rearend and put in a locker, as well as new shocks. Any suggestions on what lockers are the best??

Quick Reply: Electric Fans? What do I gotta do exactly?