2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

replacing U joint

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2008, 11:04 PM
guitarking135
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default replacing U joint

I was wondering how hard it is to replace the front U joints in the 1500 4wd when I turn the wheel all the way to one side or the other it pops and clunks actually kinda feels like the front wheels fold under. may be ball joints how hard are those to replace Never had a 4x4 before and really don't know what i'm getting into any help would be great

Old 12-20-2008, 12:57 AM
Keegan
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I need to tackle the same thing tomorrow. I'm getting a clunk-clunk-clunk-clunk that increases with speed... I'm assuming a broken U joint rubbing the knuckle each time it passes.

Old 12-20-2008, 09:27 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

it can be a bitch getting the old bearing assy out of the knuckle. you have to push it out from the back side. don't pull on it, or you'll pull the bearing apart and ruin it.

when removing and reinstalling axle into the diff, be very very gentle sliding the axle past the seals at the diff. going back in, you have to lift the axle over the edge of the seal. brute force shoving it in will destroy the seal and you'll have to do it all over again.

put the front up on jack stands and find your looseness/play. it could be anything..

http://www.pavementsucks.com/tech/hub.php

Old 12-20-2008, 09:47 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I recommend when doing the pass. to remove the CAD so you can make sure the shift collar goes on right. And also make sure the black bushing in the end of the shaft doesn't go any where.

Old 12-20-2008, 06:35 PM
Keegan
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just need to do the drivers side right now. I picked up a precision "super strength" U joint... the greasable one. It was $10 more but I like the fact that it can be greased.

Quick Reply: replacing U joint