2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

I need your help with my brakes...

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2008, 12:56 PM
castironman
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I need your help with my brakes...

My truck is a 2000 dodge ram 2500 5.9 v8 auto with 123K miles. This week, when I first use the truck, the rear brake driver's side is locking up on me. There is a sensation on the pedal that when you step on the rear locks then the front works. I use the parking brake on a hill and had to accelerate to have it moving, same thing looks like it was locked. So far I took the drum off, there is no sign of contamination on the shoes or drum and no leaks, I replaced the wheel cylinder and adjusted the shoes, is still locking. After you drive for a couple of miles all goes back to normal. I checked the proportional valve and the plunger moves up and down (under the black rubber cap). The only work that has been done was last year in March when the brake line behind the gas tank was replaced. Could this be the return spring going bad - it happens if you use the parking brake...Thank you for your help. Have a good day.

Old 03-27-2008, 01:44 PM
556fmj
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: I need your help with my brakes...

could be the return spring, or the adjuster over adjusting the shoe, or could be the parking brake cable getting hung up a bit. Try lubing the cable where it comes out of the sheath, and put a hardware kit in the rear, and see what happens.

Old 03-27-2008, 03:54 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

Could be grease has gotten on there from a axle seal or something leaking that will make them lock up. Could be too loose or too tight. Pull the drums and check it out. I did as I had this problem not long ago. Mine ended up being the adjuster arm thing had gotten bent so it wasn't hitting the star wheel on one side. Not the side I saw locking up. I think it transfered over. I replaced all this and it works fine now. It was my first time messing with drum brakes. I think it let the adjuster get too loose since it was't holding it like it should have been therefore letting them go to far out. Idk for sure but just pull the drums and take a look.

Old 03-28-2008, 02:31 PM
castironman
Rookie

Thank you for your help. The problem was on the passenger side, axle seal is bad. New brakes, seal and hardware $500 repair. I pulled my back out trying to hold the drum from falling on the floor. Thank you.

Old 03-28-2008, 03:02 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

Thats not good. What do you mean trying to keep it from falling on the floor? I just take mine off and set them down. They don't seem that heavy to me. Hopefully your back heals up on you soon.

Old 03-28-2008, 03:21 PM
castironman
Rookie

I was holding it from behind, it was rusted in place and on a last pull I had the choice of my foot or hold it, it did not look heavy but the PB blaster made it come out like butter...thank you for your post, I also hope my back will get better soon. Have a great weekend.

Old 03-28-2008, 04:55 PM
hometheaterman
Champion

For future reference if you take a hammer and beat on it usually it will loosen up so you can pull it right off. I don't know if I've ever seen that not work but if I haven't it hasn't been very many times.

Old 03-29-2008, 04:32 AM
HankL
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

sorry to hear about your back

Old 03-29-2008, 07:58 PM
rabbler
Record Breaker
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The 2500 has a much heavier brake drum than a 1500.
$500 eh. So you took it to a shop and had it done?

Old 12-20-2008, 06:51 PM
jimbo160
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my brake problems.....i guess

thought i would share my problems to, if you take time to read. have a 2000 ram 1500, 2 wd, 5.9 liter. about a week ago, my truck acted like my brake were entergised just a tad, for i could feel a slit drag on my truck. i pulled off the road, and some smoke coming from under hood, near front wheel area. i went slow, back to the house, and parked. my shoes were down to nothing, and rotor was scared. took rotors off, and had turned down. took bearing/hub assembly off to check bearings. they looked ok, for what i could see, so, i tried to repack them by hand. bought a new caliper assembly, and shoes, for the rubber dust shield was gone. spent $30 for those blooming nuts that lock the hub on spindle. torqued the nut for that to 185 lbs. i know nothing if the bolts associated with caliper are supposed to be torqued to specs, but i put them tight. when i got everything back, the only things then was nothing on the brakes. i pumped, bleed several (6) times on each wheel, and nothing. someone mentioned is probably that stupid computers that vehicles have now. my ABS would not go off. i disconnected my battery to set a few minutes, and when i hooked it back, there seemed to be brakes, but i still bled them again. at the moment everything seems to tight. i still feel a drag when i am ideling in drive and pet my excelerator. when i mash the brake, the wheels lock up (rear wheels). do not know if drag is coming from front or back. ABS light is off. if you have any suggestions, i would really appreciate them. Jimmy

Quick Reply: I need your help with my brakes...