2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Crank no start after sitting for a few days.

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 10:02 AM
ryker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Crank no start after sitting for a few days.

This is the third time in the last 2 months. I don't drive the truck much as all so it sits for some time.

Brand new battery, TB was cleaned. Stabil fuel additve was mixed in after first hard start as well as a bottle of octane booster (it was in the garage).

Cranks fine. I can hear the fuel pump kick on. Smells like its getting some gas but doesn't smell flooded. CEL would be on when starting but not once started. ABS light comes on sometimes but not allways when starting.

After abusing the starter with very long cranks. It will hit one single weak lick. Then with still using the starter it fires some and I have to play with the gas pedal. Once it starts to run without the starter its running very weak and has to hold the pedal WOT to even stall running. After a few minutes of this she wakes up, gets louder and sounds normal other than having to keep a high idle with my foot. If I let the engine idle it will drop down to 500rpm and run like a huge race cam. I can hear the air thing in the TB open up and try to work and it does some as the idle will raise up and down. After several minutes of rough idle she clears up and idels normal.

However she is still weak as heck. 1st gear WOT is more like v6 power and I can feel it stumble and pause throughout the RPMs. Same for 2nd and 3rd. After a few hard runs it cleared up. If I start the truck within 1-2 days its fine.

Before this the truck always started a little rough but now it needs fixed. Also she seamed weak and even up big hill I could floor the engine and it didn't get louder and thats without a cat and a hooker muffler.

Fuel filter, fuel pump, dirty electrical connection, and the TB are on my to check list.

Any common tips on the Ram to check for.

Old 12-28-2008, 10:07 AM
Gav1n8
Veteran

My friend had the exact same problem and I just texted him asking what was wrong with his when his did that...

Little foot note you shouldn't try to start for longer than 10 seconds... Are starters arn't made for that kind of abuse. They over heat quickly.

Old 12-28-2008, 10:17 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

fuel, spark, or timing.... that is the question.

it sounds to me like its not getting gas.

to test fuel, you could beg, borrow, buy, or steal a fuel pressure tester, and test pressure at the valve on the rail, should be something like 40psi. or, while NOT smoking, press the the little valve and see if gas squirts out real strong. another fuel test is to spray some starting fluid into the air intake or down the tb, and see if it cranks any better.

have you checked the plugs ? they might be all corroded up. coil ?

crank position sensor, cam position sensor ? i don't know how to test these.

Old 12-28-2008, 11:45 AM
ryker

Hard to think its a sensor or electrical since they work fine when the truck is used daily.

Spark plugs would be the same.

I think perhaps a bad fuel pump and a really dirty fuel filter is my first two things to check.

Whats typical items that needs replaced on this model of truck and whats the cheaper priced items?????? Remove and replace with a new part is often cheaper and easier than troubleshooting them..

Old 12-28-2008, 02:44 PM
ryker

Started on the 2nd time today. Little bit of a stumble on start up but ran fine once it was started. had plenty of power throughout the RPMs. Wonder if there is a fuel pressure regulator and what it would effects it has.

Old 12-29-2008, 02:15 AM
iwhitne
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

check your cap and rotor... water can get inside there and screw it all to hell!.. mine would always do that if it was even humid out.. and don even think about starting it on wet rainy days!.. i'd check the distributor and wires.. might be worth replacing

Old 01-05-2009, 01:40 PM
ryker

Originally Posted by iwhitne
check your cap and rotor... water can get inside there and screw it all to hell!.. mine would always do that if it was even humid out.. and don even think about starting it on wet rainy days!.. i'd check the distributor and wires.. might be worth replacing
Might have a winner. The truck was parked in the back yard on the ground and I live next to a lake so its always humid, moist, foggy.

I've been driving the truck every day now since this happened. Dumped a bottle of Deepcreap in the tank, some stabil, and octane booster.

I let it sit for one whole day and this morning (engine was moist). It wouldn't start. After several cranks when I let off the starter it ran - at about 100-150rpms and sounded like it was it was running backwards. Removed air box and would notice smoke coming OUT.

Even trying some starting fluid it wouldn't start.

So know I think its electrical. Cap, rotor, plug wires, all connections will need to be checked. Cleaned and/or replaced.

Kinda of bull**** though. My old wore out Snapper lanwmower will start on the first or second pull even after setting outside for months. Yet a modern $$$ truck will not start after 24hrs.

Old 01-05-2009, 01:47 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Coil !

Old 01-07-2009, 03:17 PM
iwhitne
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

+1 coil as well! do it all and never worry about it again!

Old 01-07-2009, 03:46 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I know what your prob is...Your sig says "5.3L."

Quick Reply: Crank no start after sitting for a few days.