2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

A call to all you Off-Road guys...

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 01:36 AM
Hendogg
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by IceCreamNazi
I have the Dayton Timberline M/T's aswell....I'm very pleased with the tire....they're wearing well and I haven't gotten stuck yet....Maybe I'm not pushing myself!!!

Well it looks like your trying..LoL Or you just ant wash t it in a long time..LoL..

Old 06-28-2009, 08:57 PM
ray406h

So I dont know what kinds of posts your wanting, but I wanted to tell a story about my old "just out of college days". I bought my first ORV - 1st generation 1986 D150 2WD. I and a buddy went out to east central washington to the gorge where there are a lot of trails and off road trails.

Being on a beer budget, we didnt have a 4wd, no fancy stuff. None of that fancy stuff is required for a little off road fun, you just have to be prepared. We headed out onto a desert trail with little more than 3 gallons of water, a cooler of snacks, a high lift jack and our wits.

Boy did we need those wits. I grew up in the missouri river breaks, where gumbo, bogs, alkali lakes were the threats to a persons mobility, and was I about to get an education quickly.

You see sand doesnt lock together like clay does.. and when the road runs out, you should back up until you reach hard surface...

not I said the young know it all... and no sooner did I leave the trail than did my smooth highway tires say "SLIP!!!". Had I not been a person who had been ORV'ing since I was 6 years old (in a 48 ford f-1, can I say that here?), I would have been toast.

Never mind, I just stopped upon the first slip, and exited the vehicle. 106 degrees out. Man, a guy can sweat like you never knew. Sizing up the situation, I quickly decided to deflate my tires. down to 20#, and tried to move... no luck. down to 10#, and wa-la! away I go. Well, the right tire spins again... so I let it down till nearly flat (right hand rule, the most torque to that side), and get back onto the road.

What to do. Its 20 miles to a air pump... and me without my dual fuel ford with the air hose on the vapor side of the propane tank.. well, I looked things over, jacked up the truck and changed the right rear.

Drank some water, discussed things with my friend, and we drove at 5mph with stops every 10 minutes for 10 minutes to cool the tires.

You should have seen the look on the service station attendant when we showed up with four flats and wanted just to air them up!

He couldnt get over it until we told him why they were low!

Old 06-29-2009, 11:23 AM
Forkliftech74
Talking

Ha HA HA , Thats awsome!!

Old 07-28-2009, 10:39 PM
andrew72090

Originally Posted by 97ramnj
yo if anyone is looking for really good tires...i have 35 inch all terrains from BFGoodrich wow...idk what to say for an a/t tire these things are great i have a 5.5 inch lift and ive had my truck in a mudhole to the body lines on the door in 2wd and didnt get stuck and 2wd in deep soft sand and drove through with no problem these tires are definitely great for your money and they last a hella long time just incase anyone wanted to know about them!!!

how much are you selling the 35's for? and for what size wheels?

Old 10-13-2009, 09:34 AM
SouthernBoy
Talking first day getting my truck

Quick story with a good point at the end..

First day I got my 97 ram(one in my signature) I took my buddy and gf and decided to go to a mud trail bout 5 miles out of city and go baptize my truck. I saw a mudhole and decided that was gonna be the first hole I go through. I let my friend get out and do the stick test(ill explain later). Hitting that mudhole was a big mistake, when all 4 of my tires were in the hole, mud was up to my windows. I was PI$$ED!!! We had no winch,*** along, no service on cell phones, getting get out of the truck.. I kicked it into 4x4 low and jus floored it...my friend decided to climb out the window,walk through the mud and videocord it on his cell phone... i just kept going and bout 2 minutes later my truck flew out of the mud hole like a bat out of hell. So my points are

1.Before hitting a mudhole do a sticktest...
get a stick or something and poke your hole to see how deep it is..then put pressure on the stick to see if its hard bottom(this will save your life)

2. no winch? *** along!!

3.DONT LET YOUR FRIENDS DO THE STICKTEST! if your driving it.. you do it.

and also i forgot the whole time in the mud my gf was complaining and yelling so...

4.dont bring your gf if she s gonna b!tch

Old 10-13-2009, 10:26 AM
AlabamaRam95
All Star

let me tell you about stuck...lol.

i dont mean stuck on the trail, or on a hunting trip. not even stuck at a mud bog or showing out for your buddies. i mean the most embarrasing stuck you can get.
IN MY MOTHER-IN-LAWS BACK YARD!!!

i had just finished restoring the hull on a 78 trihull and rebuilt the outboard. i wanted to take it for a test run but i didnt want to go at it alone. (been there done that) so i drove about 20 miles to pick up my fatherinlaw so he could go with me. when i got to his house i was on the phone with my wife and she was complaining about me taking the boat out instead of working on the honey-do list she had for me. as i pulled into his driveway i noticed that nobody was home. so...im a little ill because hes not there (said he would be), ill because i want to take the boat out, and my wifes jawjacking about me being gone.

instead of doing the smart thing (yeah right) and backing up to turn around, i decided that since i was on the phone and only had one hand to drive and didnt feel like trying to back the boat while listening to her complain, that i would just drive around the back yard...HA. simple oversight...it had been raining for like 2months.

anyway, 6 hours later...lots of mud on the boat...pissed off wife...pissed of motherinlaw...fatherinlaw laughing histarically...didnt take the boat out...we finally got it pulled out with a tractor.

i was so sick/mad that i left the boat there for like 6 weeks...if someone would have asked i probably would have given it away. my fatherinlaw got so sick of looking at it covered in mud...that he cleaned it up...lol. i finally finished the restore and sold the boat. still got the truck.

Name:  0315091256.jpg
Views: 86
Size:  216.4 KB
Name:  0315091257.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  220.7 KB
Name:  0315091151.jpg
Views: 61
Size:  134.5 KB
Name:  0315091242.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  126.9 KB
Name:  0809090942.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  59.0 KB

Old 10-13-2009, 09:22 PM
rumble_truck
Veteran

Originally Posted by AlabamaRam95
let me tell you about stuck...lol.

i dont mean stuck on the trail, or on a hunting trip. not even stuck at a mud bog or showing out for your buddies. i mean the most embarrasing stuck you can get.
IN MY MOTHER-IN-LAWS BACK YARD!!!

i had just finished restoring the hull on a 78 trihull and rebuilt the outboard. i wanted to take it for a test run but i didnt want to go at it alone. (been there done that) so i drove about 20 miles to pick up my fatherinlaw so he could go with me. when i got to his house i was on the phone with my wife and she was complaining about me taking the boat out instead of working on the honey-do list she had for me. as i pulled into his driveway i noticed that nobody was home. so...im a little ill because hes not there (said he would be), ill because i want to take the boat out, and my wifes jawjacking about me being gone.

instead of doing the smart thing (yeah right) and backing up to turn around, i decided that since i was on the phone and only had one hand to drive and didnt feel like trying to back the boat while listening to her complain, that i would just drive around the back yard...HA. simple oversight...it had been raining for like 2months.

anyway, 6 hours later...lots of mud on the boat...pissed off wife...pissed of motherinlaw...fatherinlaw laughing histarically...didnt take the boat out...we finally got it pulled out with a tractor.

i was so sick/mad that i left the boat there for like 6 weeks...if someone would have asked i probably would have given it away. my fatherinlaw got so sick of looking at it covered in mud...that he cleaned it up...lol. i finally finished the restore and sold the boat. still got the truck.

wow, epic.. that's worse than my brother washing his crown vic and getting it suck in the front lawn (had to use moms sunfire to tow it out)...

Old 10-13-2009, 10:25 PM
004x41500
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

that boat looked nice, shoulda kept it.

Old 10-13-2009, 10:26 PM
AlabamaRam95
All Star

kindof my hobby... buy it cheap, fix it, play with it, sell it.

Old 10-13-2009, 10:31 PM
004x41500
Record Breaker
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

lol. if only wives were that eays to get rid of. lol. j/p

Quick Reply: A call to all you Off-Road guys...