2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Pics of your head unit/stereo

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2008, 11:17 PM
CSXfan
All Star
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pics of your head unit/stereo

Hi all,
I've been trying to decide what head unit I should get. For me a lot of my decision comes down to how it actually looks in the truck. I like the way the stock stereo looks so I don't want to get something that looks nasty. So...I'd like to see some pics of y'alls head units installed. A pic and a brief description of what ya got and how you like it would be great. Thanks in advance.

Old 12-29-2008, 02:05 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Pioneer DEH-P6000UB

Since I work at Best Buy, I get a pretty decent discount on car audio stuff. This was my favorite out of the stuff my local store had, so I picked it up. I was debating between Pioneer and Alpine, but the advice I got here and at the store was this: if you are going to go with an amp, sub, etc. etc., you want the Alpine. If you are just going to do a head unit, and maybe some aftermarket speakers that go in the stock locations, Pioneer is better for that.

I like it fine. My wife thought I was silly, "boys and their toys" and all that, as she is a fan of stock units because they look like they go with the rest of the interior. She has a small radio transmitter for her iPod in her Jeep, and thats what she uses to listen to her music in there. She plugged her iPod into the USB cord off my Pioneer, and that changed her mind in just a few seconds. Much better sound, especially with my aftermarket Infinity Reference speakers.

Last edited by jasonw; 12-29-2008 at 02:12 AM.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:22 AM
CSXfan
All Star

Thanks for the reply. I don't think I'm gonna go all out with a sub and an amp and stuff, just a head unit and maybe better speakers when I get around to it. I'm considering going with the Pioneer DEH-P400UB, which looks a lot like what you got. The only thing I don't like about it is that it doesn't have bottons for radio presets. How do you switch radio stations with the unit you have?

Old 12-29-2008, 12:48 PM
SmokeGrinder
Professional

i pretty much agree with jasonw with a few exceptions...I have the pioneer 6800....My opinion is head unit you want either pioneer or alpine no matter what the application. For speakers (without going components) alpine, polk, or kicker......for subs, kicker or alpine...alpine and kicker both also make good amps...i have pioneer headunit, kicker 6x9s, kicker 5 1/4s, and two kicker 12inch comps in a regular cab...no fitment mods at all. Looks stock.

Old 12-29-2008, 03:25 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by jason.w

Pioneer DEH-P6000UB
+1 That could be a pic of my dash.

Infinity Reference FTW!!!!

There's a remote that comes with and the circular button in the center of the faceplate does everything you need done on the radio. It's even got a feature to boost the AM and AUX channels to match the FM signal so you don't have to keep fiddling with the volume. Only downside is that I hear the HD Radio add-on sucks big ***** for this unit.

Last edited by aim4squirrels; 12-29-2008 at 03:28 PM.
Old 12-29-2008, 04:39 PM
BigDubDiesel
Rookie

To everyone who has switched out there stock speakers with aftermarket ones maybe you can help me with a big problem I've been having. I have a 98 ram with the original infinity stock system so the front speakers have the amp behind them. When I installled my eclipse 6x9's the speakers only worked when my radio was on and when I tried to play a CD or use the inputs only the rear speakers would work.

I believe this problem is due to the factory infinity system so being I just plugged the speakers right in and I'm having this problem I feel like i skipped a step and maybe someone can tell me if I missed something. Was I supposed to find and cut the speaker wire coming from the head unit right before it got to the factory amp and than splice it directly to the speaker?

Old 12-29-2008, 04:49 PM
Vader
Champion

Pioneer DEH 4000

Old 12-29-2008, 07:48 PM
CSXfan
All Star

Thanks guys. I think I'm goin with the Pioneer

Old 12-29-2008, 08:52 PM
PurplDodge
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Vader

Pioneer DEH 4000
Metallica FTW!!!

I like the way that one looks!

Old 12-29-2008, 10:04 PM
Vader
Champion

Originally Posted by PurplDodge
Metallica FTW!!!

I like the way that one looks!

Metallica is still my fav and I'm older than most of the band members.

Quick Reply: Pics of your head unit/stereo