2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

To everyone who has aftermarket speakers

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2008, 04:42 PM
BigDubDiesel
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default To everyone who has aftermarket speakers

To everyone who has switched out there stock speakers with aftermarket ones maybe you can help me with a big problem I've been having. I have a 98 ram with the original infinity stock system so the front speakers have the amp behind them. When I installled my eclipse 6x9's the speakers only worked when my radio was on and when I tried to play a CD or use the inputs only the rear speakers would work.

I believe this problem is due to the factory infinity system so being I just plugged the speakers right in and I'm having this problem I feel like i skipped a step and maybe someone can tell me if I missed something. Was I supposed to find and cut the speaker wire coming from the head unit right before it got to the factory amp and than splice it directly to the speaker?Would this bypass the factory amp? http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...mpaign=froogle

This has been driving me nuts anyone with insight please help.

*EDIT*- Forgot an important piece, I installed an after market Panasonic deck at the same time.

Last edited by BigDubDiesel; 12-30-2008 at 06:17 PM.
Old 12-29-2008, 06:53 PM
SmokeGrinder
Professional

dont take this as an jerk comment but IMO just ditch the factory amps and get a 4channel (90 or 50 w per channel) amp from kicker or alpine and rewire with that. You have decently good sounding speakers, better sound, and no headache.

Old 12-29-2008, 06:55 PM
SmokeGrinder
Professional

oh...and im on my way out and just skimmed your post quick and didn't realize you had a stock head unit so you would just need a LOC (line output converter) its cheap dont worry.

Old 12-29-2008, 10:06 PM
priest1981
Professional

Did you replace the head unit at the same time?

Will

Old 12-30-2008, 06:16 PM
BigDubDiesel
Rookie

Originally Posted by priest1981
Did you replace the head unit at the same time?

Will
Forgot that important piece, yes I installed an after market Panasonic deck at the same time.

Old 12-30-2008, 06:28 PM
Bloodknight80
Rookie

Did you connect your blue remote wire? Cuz the amp not only runs the front door panel spkrs but it is also used for the A-pillar tweeters as well.

Last edited by Bloodknight80; 12-30-2008 at 06:30 PM.
Old 01-01-2009, 08:11 PM
priest1981
Professional

Originally Posted by BigDubDiesel
Forgot that important piece, yes I installed an after market Panasonic deck at the same time.
Ok, that seems to be a common problem. You most likely connected the amp wire for your truck to the power antenna wire of the deck, the power antenna only comes up when you listen to the radio and not a CD. There should be a wire labeled 'amp' on the deck, just swap the two wires and you'll be in business. Let me know if that works.

Will

Old 01-01-2009, 10:37 PM
Laramie1997
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

hmm, I disagree with that... Once the head unit is turned on the power antenna wire (blue wire) becomes hot. If it only had power when the head unit was on the radio function then my setup wouldn't work. I have both of my remote wires for my two amps wired into the blue antenna wire. Once i turn the deck on the amps come on whether or not its on the radio function or CD.

Old 01-01-2009, 10:52 PM
BigDubDiesel
Rookie

The remote wire is wired up correctly. Already tried re-wiring it once thinking I could of wired two of the wrong wires together but nope it was done correctly. Any other ideas?

Old 01-03-2009, 10:55 PM
priest1981
Professional

If you have a test light connect it to the remote wire, turn the unit on and see if the light is on when your front speakers go off. If the light is on and the speakers are off then I am wrong, but if the light goes out then some thing is connected wrong.

Laramie1997 many of the newer decks have outputs for amps and power antennas and they turn off the power antenna when the radio is not in use.

Will

Quick Reply: To everyone who has aftermarket speakers