2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Shifter stuck in park

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 10:40 PM
ntubbert
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Shifter stuck in park

I have a 99 Ram 2500 v10 and today when i was moving some trailers around my house i went to put it into park and it would go into park every other gear was fine. i finished all what i had to do and just left it in neutral with the parking brake on and they keys in the ignition. i went out later to work on it to see what was going on and the beeping noise was really annoying after hearing it for twenty minutes straight so i forced it up until i could pull the keys out. now the shifter is stuck between park and reverse. i took the covers off the steering column and it doesnt look like anything is stuck up in there. i also checked under the truck and everything looked fine on the transmission linkage so if anyone has any ideas it would help a lot
thanks

Old 12-31-2008, 05:37 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

There is a lever behind the ign. switch. It might be worn or the ign switch itself is worn and not engaging the lever properly. You can also isolate the problem by disconnecting the linkage from the column where it comes out the firewall. Manually shift the trans from out there, if it moves through all the gears , then the prob is in the column.

Last edited by zman17; 12-31-2008 at 05:41 AM.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:23 PM
ntubbert
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea the transmission was fine i found the stop lamp fuse was out which i have seen is connected in many other dodge models so i hope thats it

Quick Reply: Shifter stuck in park